Team USA's Landon Donovan Found World Cup Final 'Hard to Watch'
By Bryan Alexander Posted Jul 12th 2010 07:23AM
Donovan admitted to PopEater he had not watched the game on Sunday afternoon. He blamed it on a busy schedule -- and the fact that he still believes America should have been fighting for the championship.
"It is hard to watch," Donovan, 28, said. "You think you should be there."
The LA Galaxy star (and former LA Dodgers season ticket holder) spent Sunday at Dodger Stadium, meeting players and fans and throwing out the first pitch for the game against the Chicago Cubs. He was in no rush to get home and watch the Word Cup finals set on his TiVo.
Distancing himself was part of the letting-go process for Donovan after the team's crushing loss to Ghana 2-1, which knocked them out of the tournament. "You're so immersed in it for long," he told us. "You want to get away from it. Besides, you know you can beat all of these teams."
Donovan even pointed out Team USA's victory over eventual World Cup champion Spain in 2009 to reach the Confederations Cup final.
"We beat them last year and they end up winning," Donovan said. "But that's why they are the champions [of the World Cup]. They won."
Donovan said he has been amazed by the US reaction to his team's effort in the World Cup. On the first day back to America he was mobbed on the floor of the stock exchange with USA coach Bob Bradley. "Almost every person came up to me and said something along the lines of, 'Thank you for inspiring us,'" Donovan said. "It was really cool."
And will this feeling translate to renewed interest in the sport in the US? "My thing is, if we made a few more fans along the way, that eventually helps your sport get better and better. That's all you can do."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Michael Rapaport Calls Spike Lee a "S--- Stain" During Gentrification Feud
- Jenny McCarthy, Fiance Donnie Wahlberg Go Wedding Dress Shopping Together -- Find Out Which Designers She Tried On!
- Chris Pratt Texted Dave Bautista While on Ambien; Challenged Him To Wrestle
- She's An American Woman In London! Noelle Reno Dishes About Life, Work And Reality Show ?Ladies Of London'
- Madonna’s Underage Teenage Daughter Says She ‘Awkwardly Avoided Teachers’ At Prom After Drinking Champagne
- Reality Showdown! Producers Now Deciding Between Fan-Favorite ?Bachelorette' Alum Arie Luyendyk Jr. And Andi Dorfman Cast-Off Chris Soules In Next Bachelor Casting
- Leonardo DiCaprio spotted partying with 25 models, source says
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day