Mel Gibson's Friends Turn Their Backs on Him
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 13th 2010 09:25AM
With more Mel Gibson tapes set to be exposed, friends who once defended the troubled 'Edge of Darkness' actor are now running for cover. "Mel is in a very dark place," one insider tells me.
"None of his friends, even those who have defended him in the past, want anything to do with him publicly or privately."
Back in 2006, when Gibson's anti-Semitic rant was exposed, several Hollywood big wigs, including 'The Patriot' producer Dean Devlin and actress Jodie Foster, stood by his side.
"Is he an anti-Semite?" Foster asked. "Absolutely not. But it's no secret that he has always fought a terrible battle with alcoholism."
It was widely believed that Gibson has been sober since the early '90s, although people close to him say he has been on and off the wagon for years. "I have been with Mel when he has fallen off, and he becomes a completely different person," producer Devlin said back in 2006.
Now those close to Mel worry it has happened once again. Mel knows his career is over with the release of this tape and is hoping he can still save his legacy. Ten to fifteen years from now, he wants to be remembered as a great actor and father, not the man of those tapes. But I fear that ship has sailed already, Mel.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paul Walker's brothers to stand in for late actor as 'Fast & Furious 7' wraps
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cites 'severe' allergic reaction
- Tracy Morgan 'concerned' about Alec Baldwin
- 'Fargo' Premiere Recap: The Same -- Only Different
- Lena Dunham Honors Sarah Jones: 'Her Death Hits Close to Home'
- 'Game of Thrones' Preview: 10 Clues For Next Week's Episode (Video)
- ?New Girl' recap: I'm Okay, You're Okay (JK, We're All Broken Up)
- ?The Originals' recap: Three men and a baby
- ?Mindy Project' recap: The case of the missing scarf
- Pierce Brosnan Isn't Happy With His James Bond Performance
- Stephen Colbert Set for April 22 'Late Show' Appearance
- Tracy Morgan Is 'Concerned' About Alec Baldwin