Mel Gibson's Friends Turn Their Backs on Him
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 13th 2010 09:25AM
With more Mel Gibson tapes set to be exposed, friends who once defended the troubled 'Edge of Darkness' actor are now running for cover. "Mel is in a very dark place," one insider tells me.
"None of his friends, even those who have defended him in the past, want anything to do with him publicly or privately."
Back in 2006, when Gibson's anti-Semitic rant was exposed, several Hollywood big wigs, including 'The Patriot' producer Dean Devlin and actress Jodie Foster, stood by his side.
"Is he an anti-Semite?" Foster asked. "Absolutely not. But it's no secret that he has always fought a terrible battle with alcoholism."
It was widely believed that Gibson has been sober since the early '90s, although people close to him say he has been on and off the wagon for years. "I have been with Mel when he has fallen off, and he becomes a completely different person," producer Devlin said back in 2006.
Now those close to Mel worry it has happened once again. Mel knows his career is over with the release of this tape and is hoping he can still save his legacy. Ten to fifteen years from now, he wants to be remembered as a great actor and father, not the man of those tapes. But I fear that ship has sailed already, Mel.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Donald Trump calls NBC 'weak and foolish' after they sever ties with GOP hopeful
- Diddy's son Quincy says his father's arrest was a 'hiccup'
- Why Madonna is on dating app Grindr
- Jon Stewart on Gay Marriage Bashers: "I Am So Tired of This"
- 'UnREAL' Actress on Faith's Shocking Reveal: "It's an Important Story to Tell"
- 'The Whispers' Mystery Exposed
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Paul Feig Unveils Costumes for All-Female 'Ghostbusters'
- 7 On-Set Celeb Accidents That Will Make You Cringe
- 7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About 'Back to the Future'