Whoopi Goldberg: 'Mel Gibson Is Not a Racist'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 13th 2010 08:47AM
Mel Gibson's tape-recorded rants at baby mama Oksana Grigorieva are horrifying, but they're not racist, according to Whoopi Goldberg, a friend of the actor.
"I know Mel, and I know he's not a racist," Whoopi said on 'The View' on Monday, seeming both earnest and cautious to weigh in. "I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he's being a bonehead, but I can't sit and say that he's a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids. I don't like what he's done, make no mistake."
The tapes, of which RadarOnline.com has released two parts thus far, feature an enraged Gibson bellowing at the mother of his 8-month-old daughter, relentlessly employing C-words, F-bombs and, sadly and disturbingly, racial slurs including the N-word.
When Joy Behar asked if Goldberg considered Gibson anti-Semitic after his 2006 tirade against a Jewish police officer in LA , Goldberg began calling him "an ass" before stifling herself. Whoopi then pinpointed alcohol as the culprit. "Drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time -- because they're drunk, they're out of control, they are not thinking, they are idiotic. I can't say anything about people like that because I know what they're like when they're drunk. This rant? I don't think he's drunk on this rant."
Whoopi concluded: "I'm not defending Mel. I'm simply saying I don't see him as [a racist] because that's not been my experience with him."
See the clip:
Mel Gibson Snapshots
Mel Gibson laughs between takes while shooting a scene from the upcoming movie "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" on Wednesday June 9, 2010 in Brownsville, Texas.
THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Chuck Norris vs. Communism': How American movies helped overthrow Romanian regime
- Meghan Trainor and Harry Styles sing a song about love
- Miss USA's message of peace and love to terrorists widely mocked
- Watch John Oliver Audition for 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Sundance: Keanu Reeves Makes Two Enticing Friends in 'Knock Knock' Teaser
- Watch 'Full House' Cast Reunite, Sing Theme Song
- ?Full House' cast members reunite, serenade creator with theme song
- Official ?Madden' Super Bowl simulation predicts narrow 4th-quarter victory for Patriots
- Recap of Revenge Episode 14: Escape To Witch Mountain
- SAG Awards 2015 Winners: The Full List
- Mark Ruffalo Asleep When He Won 2015 SAG Award, Gives Speech on Twitter