Crystal Bowersox Finds Success in Motherhood
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 14th 2010 02:19PM
called it quits during the finale!) and raising her son as a single mother on the road. She opened up to Redbook (on newsstands July 20) to reveal the truth about 'Idol' and if it was all really worth it.
On the rewards of motherhood: "Tony's first word this morning was happy. I am not joking ... He sits up and he looks at me and he goes, 'Happy.' And I almost cried. I'm like, 'Really?' I'm doing something right and it feels so good. To me, the definition of success is happiness."
On the truth about her breakup: "I really want to clear up some misunderstood stuff about Tony's and my breakup the night of the 'Idol' finale, and let people know how amazing he was through the whole process. I feel like he's getting portrayed as this person who up and left me on the biggest day of my life, and that's not the case at all. I mean, he's getting hate mail and horrible messages online. So I want to make clear how amazing, kind, and generous a person he is, and that he truly considers my son his son and little Tony loves him. He's been there since my son was about 3 months old. And in a lot of ways, he's the perfect man; he really is. But ultimately, we both knew it wasn't going to work out, considering the different lives we were leading. And it's better to come to that realization than to have an unhappy relationship. Mommy and daddy need to be happy in order for baby to be happy."
On being on 'American Idol': "I went into the 'Idol' audition with no expectations; that's just the kind of person I am. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't hurt so badly, you know? But once I made it past the first round, and the second, and third, I started to realize maybe my goals and dreams really are attainable."
About her friendship with Ryan Seacrest: "It was hard, and I did go talk to Ryan at one point because he works 24/7, and I knew he would understand. He gave me the best advice. He said the best thing I could ever do was work hard enough now, so I could take care of my family. And it's true. Sometimes you have to work really hard and make sacrifices, so you can provide for the people you love."
On the scariest 'Idol' moment: "During 'Idol,' I really hadn't been taking great care of myself. You want to forget you're diabetic for a while, and maybe you don't watch yourself as well as you should. I ended up getting sick in March, and they told me I was off the show. I wasn't going to take that. I begged, I screamed, I pleaded. I said, 'I want to meet with the head honchos. I need this so bad for my kid. I'll go home if I'm voted off, but not because of this.' That's the one time I threw a huge fit, and thankfully, they gave in."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Larry King grills Willie Robertson on his views on homosexuality
- Jason Segel reveals his worst nightmare
- Stephen Collins on molestation scandal: 'I'm a human being with flaws'
- Lady Gaga recalls some good advice she got from a stripper
- Time travel meets indie-movie charm in ?Life Is Strange' trailer
- ?Gone With the Wind' at 75: A first-time viewer and an expert discuss
- Kris and Bruce Jenner One Step Closer to Divorce
- Stephen Collins' Speaks Out About Molestation Allegations In New Interview
- Couples News! Elton John & David Furnish Set to Marry in England This Weekend
- A Teenager Bested Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and Kate Spade as the Most Googled Fashion Designer of 2014
- Chris Rock Says Hollywood Is "Scared" by Sony Hack: "Nobody Knows What to Do"
- Steve Carell's North Korea Movie Pulled After Sony's Drama With The Interview