Whoopi Goldberg Defends Herself Defending Mel Gibson
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 14th 2010 02:00PM
Whoopi Goldberg has come under fire for remarks she made in defense of Mel Gibson after several of his obscene, racially-charged rants leaked online.
"There has been a lot of hassle ... in the media recently about moi because I had the audacity to say that I had some personal time with Mel that goes over years and years and said that I did not think of him as a racist," Whoopi began on 'The View' today.
"If you had actually watched the show, you would have heard us say, and you would have heard me specifically say, 'I don't condone this. I don't think this is right, I don't think this is smart. But here's the piece of information that I have. My experience tells me that this is not a racist,'" she continued.
"Being a black woman, you'd think you would give me a little bit of leeway to have some feelings if I was around a racist." Watch the Video After the Jump!
"People called my office and went off on the young lady that works there. You're going to call because you think that I'm doing something wrong. And you do the same thing to this young lady that you don't even know that Mel Gibson supposedly did? Who are you?" she says, making a spitting noise. "You can kiss my behind."
On Monday, Whoopi explained her position on Mel. "I know Mel, and I know he's not a racist. I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he's being a bonehead, but I can't sit and say that he's a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids. I don't like what he's done, make no mistake."
Goldberg also blamed his 2006 anti-Semitic tirade after being stopped by police on alcohol. "Drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time -- because they're drunk, they're out of control, they are not thinking, they are idiotic. I can't say anything about people like that because I know what they're like when they're drunk."
But her fellow hosts weren't as keen to forgive the actor. Joy Behar told The Insider that Mel is not welcome on 'The View.' "Barbara [Walters] would not allow him on the show."
"Barbara's Jewish, he's an anti-Semite, he's a racist ... so he's done," Behar added.
The fourth tape of Gibson yelling at his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva recently surfaced. In it, he makes demands for oral sex before threatening to burn the house down.
In the other tapes, he screams racial slurs, admits to hitting Oksana and calls her a slut.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Caitlyn Jenner Slips Her Curves Into a Sexy Black Jumpsuit: See Her Latest Street Style!
- Ciara Opens Up About Struggle to Stay Celibate With Russell Wilson: Watch Us Weekly's Loose Talk Video
- Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Review: Tom Cruise Is as Game as Ever in "Smart and Satisfying" Blockbuster
- Woody Allen on relationship with Soon-Yi: She responded to someone who was paternal
- Travis Tritt safe after fire threatens Georgia home
- Ben Affleck denies affair rumors as ex-nanny's friends tell a different story
- Kelly Ripa Breaks Her Foot in Dance Class, Jokes That Mark Consuelos "Loved This Moment of Suffering"—Watch!
- Woody Allen Discusses His "Paternal" Relationship With Wife Soon-Yi Previn: "She Deferred to Me"
- Mia Farrow Shares Address of Dentist Who Killed the Lion Cecil in Zimbabwe, Internet Reacts