Mel Gibson's Ex-Wife Defends Him in Court
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 15th 2010 06:00PM
"Mel never engaged in any physical abuse of any kind toward me before, during or after our marriage," Robyn Gibson said in a declaration to a Los Angeles judge overseeing the custody battle between Gibson and Grigorieva, TMZ reports. "Mel was a wonderful and loving father."
"Robyn felt she needed to speak out to protect her children and family," a source close to her told PEOPLE. "Robyn's tried to stay out of this, but she wanted to make sure there was no speculation of what happened within her family."
Gibson began dating Grigorieva just a few weeks after his ex-wife of over 30 years filed for divorce.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is investigating Gibson over an alleged domestic violence incident from earlier this year involving his ex-girlfriend, Grigorieva. According to a news release, police have opened an inquiry into the alleged attack, which is dated Jan. 6, and are "currently gathering information regarding the allegations."
Grigorieva's lawyers appeared in family court Thursday in Los Angeles to ask a judge to strip the 'What Women Want' actor of custody of their 8-month-old daughter, Lucia.
Detectives want to sit with Gibson's ex-wife regarding the alleged domestic violence allegations. "We want to interview him just like everyone else involved in this investigation," Whitmore told PEOPLE. "The tapes will be analyzed by our detectives. But they are not the central focus of the investigation, they're just part and parcel of it."
Gibson and his ex-wife's divorce proceedings are still ongoing. At the time of the divorce filing, they cited "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for their split. A PEOPLE source claimed that the two were separated for three years, having gone their separate ways following Gibson's 2006 DUI arrest. Gibson had stayed mostly out of the spotlight since his 2006 drunk driving arrest, during which he reportedly used anti-Semitic and sexist slurs towards the police officers arresting him.
► Mel Gibson Tapes Have Been Edited, Expert Says
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- 'Game of Thrones' Shakes Up the Game in a Big Way
- ?Veep's' Matt Walsh Breaks Down Mike's ?Worst Day? Ever
- David Letterman on Indy 500 Tribute: "It's the Highlight of My Career"
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Cersei's Comeuppance, Dany Meets 'The Gift'
- 'Braveheart': 25 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Mel Gibson's Epic
- 'Fantastic Four' Star Michael B. Jordan Responds to Critics of Black Johnny Storm