Mel Gibson's Ex-Wife Defends Him in Court
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 15th 2010 06:00PM
"Mel never engaged in any physical abuse of any kind toward me before, during or after our marriage," Robyn Gibson said in a declaration to a Los Angeles judge overseeing the custody battle between Gibson and Grigorieva, TMZ reports. "Mel was a wonderful and loving father."
"Robyn felt she needed to speak out to protect her children and family," a source close to her told PEOPLE. "Robyn's tried to stay out of this, but she wanted to make sure there was no speculation of what happened within her family."
Gibson began dating Grigorieva just a few weeks after his ex-wife of over 30 years filed for divorce.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is investigating Gibson over an alleged domestic violence incident from earlier this year involving his ex-girlfriend, Grigorieva. According to a news release, police have opened an inquiry into the alleged attack, which is dated Jan. 6, and are "currently gathering information regarding the allegations."
Grigorieva's lawyers appeared in family court Thursday in Los Angeles to ask a judge to strip the 'What Women Want' actor of custody of their 8-month-old daughter, Lucia.
Detectives want to sit with Gibson's ex-wife regarding the alleged domestic violence allegations. "We want to interview him just like everyone else involved in this investigation," Whitmore told PEOPLE. "The tapes will be analyzed by our detectives. But they are not the central focus of the investigation, they're just part and parcel of it."
Gibson and his ex-wife's divorce proceedings are still ongoing. At the time of the divorce filing, they cited "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for their split. A PEOPLE source claimed that the two were separated for three years, having gone their separate ways following Gibson's 2006 DUI arrest. Gibson had stayed mostly out of the spotlight since his 2006 drunk driving arrest, during which he reportedly used anti-Semitic and sexist slurs towards the police officers arresting him.
► Mel Gibson Tapes Have Been Edited, Expert Says
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Puddle of Mudd frontman Wes Scantlin accused of DWI, fleeing police in Minnesota
- Box Office Top 20: 'Ant-Man' beats 'Pixels' by a tentacle; 'Southpaw' outclasses 'Paper Towns'
- Hulk Hogan thanks fans for their support after being released from WWE contract
- 'UnREAL's' Constance Zimmer on Quinn's Big Move: "She Doesn't Know What She Wants"
- 'The Bachelorette' Finale: Kaitlyn Bristowe Gets Engaged
- Jon Stewart Talks Retirement Plans and George W. Bush During Audience Q&A
- 'The Bachelorette' Couple's Plans
- 'The Bachelorette': Kaitlyn's Choice
- Ashley On Miranda & Blake Support
- The 25 Best 'SNL' Impressions Ever
- Top 10 Worst Casting Choices Ever
- The 18 Most Insane Stunts in Movie History, Ranked