Mel Gibson's Ex-Wife Defends Him in Court
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 15th 2010 06:00PM
"Mel never engaged in any physical abuse of any kind toward me before, during or after our marriage," Robyn Gibson said in a declaration to a Los Angeles judge overseeing the custody battle between Gibson and Grigorieva, TMZ reports. "Mel was a wonderful and loving father."
"Robyn felt she needed to speak out to protect her children and family," a source close to her told PEOPLE. "Robyn's tried to stay out of this, but she wanted to make sure there was no speculation of what happened within her family."
Gibson began dating Grigorieva just a few weeks after his ex-wife of over 30 years filed for divorce.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is investigating Gibson over an alleged domestic violence incident from earlier this year involving his ex-girlfriend, Grigorieva. According to a news release, police have opened an inquiry into the alleged attack, which is dated Jan. 6, and are "currently gathering information regarding the allegations."
Grigorieva's lawyers appeared in family court Thursday in Los Angeles to ask a judge to strip the 'What Women Want' actor of custody of their 8-month-old daughter, Lucia.
Detectives want to sit with Gibson's ex-wife regarding the alleged domestic violence allegations. "We want to interview him just like everyone else involved in this investigation," Whitmore told PEOPLE. "The tapes will be analyzed by our detectives. But they are not the central focus of the investigation, they're just part and parcel of it."
Gibson and his ex-wife's divorce proceedings are still ongoing. At the time of the divorce filing, they cited "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for their split. A PEOPLE source claimed that the two were separated for three years, having gone their separate ways following Gibson's 2006 DUI arrest. Gibson had stayed mostly out of the spotlight since his 2006 drunk driving arrest, during which he reportedly used anti-Semitic and sexist slurs towards the police officers arresting him.
► Mel Gibson Tapes Have Been Edited, Expert Says
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hollywood studios are urged to take extra precautions filming abroad amid rising global security issues
- 'NCIS' moves down South with New Orleans spinoff
- Ben Affleck admits he counts cards
- Ang Lee to Direct 'Long Halftime Walk' as Next Film for Tom Rothman's TriStar
- Kevin Connolly to Star in Matthew Berry Fantasy Football Comedy at Fox
- Sony Pictures Releases First Glimpse of Genndy Tartakovsky's 'Popeye'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Married' Finale, 'Breaking Amish' Premiere, and More Picks
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Is the Best Season Yet, Says Jessica Lange
- Lifetime's Aaliyah Biopic Has a Premiere Date (PHOTO)