Mel Gibson's Next Bombshell: Rehab?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 16th 2010 10:34AM
Mel Gibson has been keeping a very low profile since his shocking, racism-ridden tapes leaked online. So why hasn't he been talking? Sources tell me Gibson's team is looking into various rehab facilities, hoping the actor will consider checking himself in as early as Monday.
"There's no question about it. When someone is recorded issuing death threats and vulgarity to describe the mother of his child, he needs help," Keith Ablow, MD, Forensic Psychiatrist and Fox News Contributor tells me. "The man on those tapes is full of rage, psychologically disordered and dangerous. He needs immediate psychiatric intervention and comprehensive treatment for years to come."
Watch Me Talk Mel Gibson With Lara Spencer
Celebrities tend to retreat to "rehab," which is sometimes more like a luxury vacation, when they hit a massive bump and want to fade away for a while. But insiders tell me Gibson's camp is serious about him getting help. They're currently looking into a rehab with maxim security that is far away from Los Angeles.
Even if rehab is a heartfelt decision, some are already questioning why Gibson would check in. "Going to rehab lets you hit the restart button," one crisis management publicist tells me.
"If Mel is seen going to get help than he has a chance to start rebuilding his life. Tiger Woods did it. Jesse James did it, and now it seems like it's his turn. My only hope is that Mel is going because he's serious about getting treatment -- not just to help his image."
At this point , it is impossible to tell. But don't be surprised if Gibson decides to take some time away from Hollywood and detox his image in rehab.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 1st African-American actor to play Jean Valjean on Broadway dies
- ‘The Good Wife's' Christine Baranski talks Emmys, season 7 excitement
- MSNBC cuts back on Katrina coverage due to Brian Williams?
- ‘Hannibal's' Bryan Fuller on the "Obscure" Finale, Movie Hopes: "There's a Few Ways to Go"
- Watch 'Downton Abbey's' First Season Six Trailer
- Party Playlist: Billboard and Jimmy Choo's Men of Style Celebration
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Quiz: Match the Al Pacino Movie With His Screaming Face
- New 'Game of Thrones' Theory: [Spoilers] Is Jon Snow's Twin Sister
- 10 WTF Moments In MTV Video Music Awards History