Lindsay Lohan Surrenders to Begin Jail Sentence
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 20th 2010 12:04PM
Greeted by a burst of glitter and a mob of shouting cameraman, Lindsay Lohan surrendered to officials at the Beverly Hills Courthouse on Tuesday to begin serving her 90-day jail sentence. The 'Mean Girls' star arrived about 10 minutes late and was accompanied by attorney Shawn Chapman Holley and her mother, Dina Lohan. An onlooker added to the spectacle by throwing a glittery substance onto the actress, who arrived wearing blue jeans and a grey top.
Shortly after the hearing began, Judge Marsha Revel announced she was decreasing the 24-year-old's transition time between jail and her rehab stint from 48 to 24 hours. The actress looked poised and calm as Revel spoke.
Lindsay Behind Bars
Lindsay Lohan is shown in court on July 20, where she was taken into custody to serve a jail sentence. Lohan was found in violation of her probation for the August 2007 no-contest plea to drug and alcohol charges stemming from two separate traffic accidents. More Pics >>
Pool The Los Angeles Times
According to TMZ, the actress remained stoic and did not cry during the un-televised portion of the hearing.
► See Lindsay Lohan's Mug Shot
"She's scared as anyone would be," Lohan's attorney Shawn Chapman Holley told the press on Tuesday. "But she's resolute and she's doing it."
"She asks for your prayers and support" Holley said, adding Lohan "is accepting responsibility and [has] stepped up to the plate and is doing what has been asked of her."
Lohan was sentenced July 6 to 90 days in jail and a 90-day inpatient rehabilitation program for violating probation on an old DUI case. The actress will likely serve approximately 23 days behind bars because, according to Los Angeles Sheriff's Department spokesperson Steve Whitmore, female inmates in custody for nonviolent crimes generally serve about 25 percent of their sentence.
One thing is certain: Her stay will be considerably longer that the 84 minutes she spent at a suburban Los Angeles jail in 2006 for an unrelated conviction.
Lohan broke down in tears as Judge Marsha Revel revealed her decision on July 6. Two days later, Lohan's lawyer Shawn Chapman Holley announced she was leaving the star's legal team and was later replaced briefly by Robert Shapiro. He tendered his resignation on Monday and Holley took up the case again.
This string of legal woes for Lohan stems from a June 2007 arrest in which she was taken into custody for suspicion of drunk driving and cocaine possession. Just a month earlier, she was arrested on another DUI charge. Lohan spent a total of 84 minutes in jail after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts of being under the influence of cocaine and no contest to two counts of driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.08 percent and one count of reckless driving.
She was rapped with three years of probation, but in October asked for a year-long extension because she had fallen behind on her court-ordered alcohol-education classes. She attended 10 of the 13 required classes and officials said her "attitude is positive and receptive to ideas regarding lifestyle changes."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by ?The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story'
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Baby News! Carrie Underwood Is Pregnant
- Joan Rivers' Health Update: Being Brought Out of Coma, Family Has ?Fingers Crossed'
- Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence and Others Leaked in Massive Hack
- Angelina Jolie's Wedding Dress Featured Colorful Designs Drawn By Her and Brad Pitt's Kids -- See the First Pic!
- Carrie Underwood is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Mike Fisher!
- Melissa Rivers Releases New Statement on Mom Joan River's Condition; Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leaked: Top Weekend Stories