Where Have All of Mel's Christian Friends Gone?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 20th 2010 06:54AM
Four years ago when Mel Gibson was still riding high from the extraordinary success for his film 'The Passion Of The Christ,' several Christian organizations including Promise Keepers and Focus on the Family defended him following his anti-Semitic outburst after his DUI arrest. Yet all are silent today. What happened to Mel's support from his faithful friends?
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, former spiritual adviser to Michael Jackson and author of 22 books on parenting, marriage, and relationships, tells me he was disappointed when Christian leaders rallied behind Gibson for 'The Passion' -- "with his shocking, anti-Semitic portrayal of hook-nosed, money-grubbing Jews clamoring for the blood of Jesus."
These days, Boteach says, "It is equally disappointing that they have failed to condemn Mel, whom they once regarded as a champion of Christian values, when he has been exposed as an anti-Semite, a racist, an alleged domestic abuser, and a man who can abandon his devoted wife of 28 years and the mother of his seven children."
Phew! Boteach goes on to tell me he believes Christian leaders have "made the mistake of getting behind" Gibson for 'The Passion' and have now "boxed themselves into a corner" with this latest scandal.
"They fear that repudiating Mel would be a repudiation of their past support of the film," he says.
Where as, Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, a man who defended Mel in 2006 released a statement saying, "Mel has apologized profusely for this incident, and there the matter should rest." These days, Focus on the Family won't return my calls and neither will the National Association of Evangelicals.
In fact, the only person that would defend Mel was born-again Christian, Stephen Baldwin, who tells me, "Obviously the behavior Mel has demonstrated is totally out of line. I just wish we could see more people trying to rally around him in an effort to try and be supportive rather than clearly what we see, which is a culture and a media more interested in tearing him down."
With all due respect Stephen, I think Mel has done that all by himself!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Upton takes on Ice Bucket challenge with rumored boyfriend Justin Verlander
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Metal rockers Motley Crue find welcome embrace in Nashville for country tribute album
- 'Blackfish' Director Talks SeaWorld Revenue Drop: "People Are Truly Willing to Change Ethically"
- Cable's New Business Model: Lower Ratings, Higher Revenue
- Smashbox Studios Gets $5 Million Makeover (Exclusive)
- Lindsay Lohan posts selfie with Tina Fey during EW's ?Mean Girls' reunion
- The Rock is starring in DC's ?Shazam'? as the villain? An investigation
- Exclusive: The cast of Broadway's ?It's Only a Play' reenacts Ellen's Oscar selfie
- Best of Late Night TV: Pierce Brosnan Fails at 'GoldenEye 007,' Chloe Grace Moretz Fakes Cello (VIDEO)
- Let's Rank the 'Saved By the Bell' Very Special Episodes (VIDEO)
- Julianne Hough May Return to 'Dancing With the Stars'... as a Judge