Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Take Out a UK Tabloid
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 22nd 2010 07:34AM
Note to the media: If you're going to publish a story claiming the demise of Brangelina, you'd better have rock-solid information. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie triumphed in British court Thursday after a notorious tabloid admitted they had published a story filled with "false and intrusive" allegations that the two were planning to split up.
The News of the World, a Sunday tabloid, published a story in January claiming the couple had visited a divorce lawyer and had reached an agreement about division of their assets as well as the custody of their six kids. The headline was "Pitts all over."
Pitt and Jolie, who aren't married, immediately brought legal action against the paper, arguing it had made false and misleading comments about them. The couple demanded a retraction of the sensational story but none was given.
Although the newspaper argued they acted in good faith, they never stood a chance against the power couple. Sorrell Trope, a divorce lawyer identified by many as the one the couple met with, denied even knowing them.
"When the News of the World failed to publicly retract the allegations and apologize for them -- thereby leaving their readers in the dark as to the true position -- the couple felt they had no alternative than to sue," the couple's attorney, Keith Schilling, said in a statement. "Today's victory marks the end of the litigation brought by Brad and Angelina."
The publication's owner, News Group Newspapers, has agreed to publish an apology and pay Pitt and Jolie a settlement, which they intend to donate to charity. They have declined to comment further.
The couple did not attend the hearing.
Angelina and Brad arrive at the Hollywood premiere of 'Salt' at Grauman's Chinese Theater on July 19. Check out dozens more Brangelina Pics >>
Getty Images North America
MORE ABOUT Brad Pitt
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Brad Pitt Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Musical mocking Mormons coming to Utah
- Politician calling for ban of orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Was politics behind Mexico City's decision to cancel heavy-metal concert?
- Lesli Klainberg Named Executive Director of Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Amy Sedaris to Co-Star in Fox's Jane Krakowski Comedy
- Scott Kalvert, 'Basketball Diaries' Director, Dies at 49
- This Week on Stage: Bryan Cranston goes ?All the Way'
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Renee Zellweger's Next Movie, 'The Whole Truth,' Is Her First in Four Years
- Jennifer Lawrence's Boyfriend, Nicholas Hoult, Is Very Aware of His 'Bystander' Status
- '300: Rise of an Empire': By the Numbers Review