Simon Monjack's Cause of Death: 'Just Like Brittany'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 22nd 2010 02:53AM
Monjack, a British screenwriter, was found dead May 23 at the couple's Hollywood home by his mother-in-law. Coroner Assistant Chief Ed Winter told CNN that Monjack's cause of death was "just like Brittany" and that some prescription drugs were found in his system, but not enough to have contributed to his death.
No illegal drugs were found.
Sharon Murphy, Brittany's mother, spoke out after the results were released.
"I am still in shock and mourning over the deaths of my daughter Brittany and son-in-law Simon," Sharon said in a statement (via TMZ). "It is with great relief that Simon's preliminary autopsy findings have been released, so the media speculations can stop... As I was sure of, just like my daughter Brittany, there was no kind of drug overdose."
On May 27, Monjack was laid to rest beside his wife at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Los Angeles.
Murphy was found dead Dec. 20 in her bathroom by Monjack. The final coroner's report, released Feb. 23, stated that she had "elevated levels" of Vicodin and drugs from over-the-counter cold medicine in her system, but no illegal substances. The office concluded Murphy's death was accidental, but likely preventable. She was 32.
Following his wife's passing, Monjack's physical and mental health declined sharply.
In January, Monjack admitted on 'The Today Show' that he had suffered a minor heart attack just weeks before Murphy died.
According to his spokesman, Monjack was due for a heart bypass. "Simon needed a [heart] bypass. I was told he needed a bypass, and I said to him, 'Simon, you have so much going on, let's keep you healthy.' I said, 'You want to be healthy. Don't you?' He said yes, but he said, 'The bypass can wait.'"
While the physical health issues were present, his rep said Monjack also died from a "broken heart." In January, Monjack spoke about how Murphy's death turned his life upside down. "My world was destroyed yesterday," he told Access Hollywood.
Monjack -- who penned and produced 2006's 'Factory Girl' -- wed Murphy in 2007 in a small, private ceremony at their house. The marriage seemed to come out of nowhere, as the couple never announced their engagement and hardly ever made public appearances together.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Right Now: Elegant Men's Watches
- ?Fast & Furious 6?: That ending! THAT ENDING! (SPOILERS)
- ?Arrested Development': Five episodes to watch to get ready for Sunday
- ?Fast & Furious': 10 take-aways after an all-day franchise marathon
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report