Wyclef Jean on Running for Haitian Presidency: 'I Can't Sing Forever'
Though French-Canadian publication Le Droit recently reported Wyclef Jean would run for president of Haiti, the singer's words to CNN are a bit more cryptic: "I can't sing forever," Jean said.
The 37-year-old Haitian-born musician told CNN reports of a presidential campaign are premature, but that he is indeed mulling the idea. Jean, a member of '90s hip-hop staple The Fugees, was an active philanthropist for Haiti long before an earthquake rocked Port-au-Prince in January. His foundation, Yéle Haiti, released the following statement about the presidential prospect:
Jean, who grew up in New York and New Jersey and has stayed heavily involved with Haiti as an adult, wrote the following on his Twitter last week:
When asked by FOX Business, Wyclef's response was, "I would say right now, currently at this minute, no."
In an impassioned column for the UK's Mirror, Jean recently wrote:
Haiti's elections are on Nov. 28. While we wait for more news of Wyclef's candidacy, consider his 2008 tune, 'If I Was President':"Haiti still needs our help -- more than ever. People around the world made lots of promises, and we want those promises to be kept. My wife Claudinette and I are passionate about rebuilding Haiti. We've seen the situation with our own eyes, and we've been listening to others.
Rebuilding has been delayed by land disputes, bureaucratic roadblocks, customs problems, differences of opinion about strategy and even delays in getting the actual pledged money to Haiti. I'm a warrior and can't stand by quietly while promises aren't kept. I won't ever surrender."
Notable lyrics include: "If I was president / I'd get elected on Friday / Assasinated on Saturday / And buried on Sunday" and "Instead of spending billions on the war / We can use some of that money, in the ghetto / I know some so poor, when it rains that when they shower / Screaming 'fight the power.' "
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber gets May 5 trial date for DUI and other Florida charges
- Bratty Justin Bieber heading for career ruin?
- Source: Celebrity skin guru murder-for-hire arrest 'fishy'
- Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez perform sexy dance routine ? VIDEO
- ?Game of Thrones': Vanity Fair asks the cast who should sit on the Iron Throne ? VIDEO
- Robert Rodriguez reveals the movie that scared him as a kid in our Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Frank Ocean, Chipotle Feud: Singer Shares "F--- YOU" Check, Company Claims Money Wasn't Returned
- Kevin Bacon Tries to Explain Dating in the '80s to Millennials: Star Talks Rubik's Cube, White Pages, and the Cold War in Viral Video
- Sophia Bush Smolders in Mesh Corset on Maxim Cover: "You're Supposed to Be Growing and Exploring New Things" In Your 20s