New Jerseyans: Quit Asking Us About 'Jersey Shore'
But there's a small batch of Americans who experience the show like no others. These are the people of New Jersey. Some of their dignitaries and organizations have weighed in on 'Jersey Shore,' often unkindly. But the daily effect the show has on the state is this: No one can stop asking residents if they've seen the friggin' show and asking them to weigh in as de facto experts.
Here, three PopEater readers chime in on the irksome phenomenon -- one gal even goes so far as to offer a list of the seven questions a regular New Jerseyan faces on a daily basis in these 'Jersey Shore'-dominated days.
Courtney Rogaski says:
I remember my first encounter with the 'Jersey Shore' state of mind -- I sat down at a bar in Hawaii and handed the woman my ID. She stopped, looked up, and said, "I don't understand." I was confused and asked her to clarify. Her response? "Well, your hair isn't big and you're not tan ... but you're from New Jersey?" I wasn't sure what she was referring to until she brought up the MTV show. Horrified that people from other states actually believe people from New Jersey are like this, I elucidated for her: "Listen, I live by a beautiful farm town in the middle of nowhere next to a vineyard. I am not Italian and most people I know are not, either. We do not get into fights all the time -- in fact, most people are laid back. We are not all egomaniacs." It was so upsetting that she believed all the hype and stereotype. I eventually found out most of the cast was from New York anyways. Go figure.
Melissa McMaster has heard enough of these daily questions:
1) "Is Jersey as fabulous as it's made out to be?!"
2) "Have you ever been in the background of one of a 'Jersey Shore' scene?!"
3) "Do people really get that drunk and destructive?!"
4) "Who's your favorite person on 'Jersey Shore'?!"
5) "Don't you just love The Situation?!"
6) "Are you a guido/guidette?!"
7) "Do you know Snooki?!"
1) Sure, some parts are "fabulous." I prefer a calm beach house.
2) No, I'm not a 'Jersey Shore' groupie who tailgates the cast wherever they go in order to attempt to get filmed at clubs and whatnot.
3) Yes, people do get that drunk and wild -- but not as often as it's made out to be.
4) I don't have a favorite person on the show. In fact, I don't even really like the show, as it has turned my beautiful state into, y'know, an abomination. It's transformed into a party animal state where people come to get drunk and laid. Ugh.
5) I do not love the Situation.
6) I am not a guidette.
7) And no, I do not know Snooki. I don't know any of the cast. I don't want anything to do with this show, this fad. Stop asking me about it.
Frederick Falco writes:
Vacationing earlier this summer, we drove west, across the country, and the farther from Jersey we got, the more people started asking the same questions about 'Jersey Shore.' Stuff like, "I'm guessing you've heard of Jersey Shore, then?" or "Have you ever met Snooki in person?"
We got both of these questions almost everywhere we went. Honestly, I haven't seen that many episodes of the show, but you only really need to see one to understand it. This show borders on trashy -- I start to feel a little embarrassed! The show makes people think that New Jersey is some sort of stereotype. Then again, it kind of always has been ... but I'd trade this show in a heartbeat if we could at least get the old Dirty Jerz reputation back! When people hear the word Jersey and automatically think 'Jersey Shore,' it makes me want to move to Pennsylvania.
All videos courtesy of The Daily Beast, which has a magnificent roundup of the most raucous 'Jersey Shore' moments thus far.
►Video: 'Jerseylicious' Stars Are Nothing Like the 'Jersey Shore' Girls
►PopEater's Video Interview With The Situation
►Obama on 'The View': 'I Don't Know Who Snooki Is'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Iggy Azalea Threatened by Hackers: Apologize to Azaelia Banks or We'll Release Sex Tape
- Harry Styles, Kristen Wiig Dirty Dance Together at SNL After Party: Watch!
- Lady Gaga Visits Mariah Carey's Show, Takes Double Diva Backstage Selfie!
- Hackers Threaten to Release Iggy Azalea's Alleged Sex Tape If She Doesn't Apologize to Azealia Banks
- Diane von Furstenberg Selects Official DVF Global Brand Ambassador—Find Out Who She Hired!
- The Affair Boss Explains Stunning Finale and What's Ahead in Season 2 (More Narratives!)