Katharine McPhee Works on Her Songwriting for Upcoming Christmas Album
By Steve Baltin Posted Aug 5th 2010 10:32AM
Like her favorite Christmas albums from Mariah Carey and Celine Dion, McPhee is bringing her vocal prowess to holiday standards. "All of them, 'A Christmas Song' -- the one that goes "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" -- 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,'" she says. "I love all of the songs."
The album, tentatively due in October, is still in the recording process, so the final track list has yet to be determined. Still, one song that should make the cut is an original by McPhee. "At the moment we're doing some tweaking on the lyrics, so it could change, but right now it's 'It's Not Christmas Without You,'" she says, noting she's excited to work on her songwriting chops. "I didn't set out to write something that could be on Top 40 radio. I wanted something that felt maybe just as classic as 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.' I'm not much of an up-tempo songwriter. I have a hard time writing songs that are up-tempo, so this one is a ballad, really beautiful melodically."
In the meantime, McPhee will appear in Los Angeles Saturday at the John Anson Ford Theater as part of "An Evening of Independence" with Sixpence None the Richer, Jon McLaughlin and more. The show, presented by LA's Koffeehouse as a benefit for the Grammy Foundation's MusiCares, is a big deal for the singer. "I don't consider myself a singer-songwriter per se, [so] I'm honored that they recognize I have begun that journey in that kind of music and with those kind of artists and songwriters," she says. "I'm really honored to just be there."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan Dodges Sobriety Questions, Gives Pole Dancing Lesson
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Justin Bieber Finally Allowed to Leave LAX After Being Detained
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Takes a Pilates Class, New Mom Olivia Wilde Tweets About Baby Peeing In Face: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jodie Foster Flashes Wedding Ring After Secretly Tying the Knot With Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison: Picture