Mary Hart Says She's Leaving 'Entertainment Tonight'
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 5th 2010 11:25AM
"I've had the privilege of spending 29 years doing something I love -- how often does that happen?" she said in a statement Thursday."I only meant to be at 'ET' for three years, suddenly it's almost 30!"
Hart, 59, said she's reached a point in her career where she realizes it's time to change things up. "There are many things I want to do in my life and I'd better get on with them."
Leaving will be bittersweet for Hart, who was inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in 1999.
"It will certainly be with mixed sentiments that I say 'goodbye' at the end of the season, but it will definitely be with a sense of celebration ... 30 years of Entertainment Tonight, are you kidding me?" she said. "That's an accomplishment and something I'm very proud of!"
Those accomplishments include being on the ground floor of entertainment new shows. Now, there is no shortage of airtime given to celebrity dish -- Access Hollywood, TMZ, The Insider -- but before them, there was 'ET' with Hart at the helm.
"ET and Mary Hart have created the genre of entertainment news," John Nogawski, President of CBS Television Distribution said. "Not only has she defined ET for almost three decades but she's defined entertainment journalism."
She's also made quite an impression on the hundreds of celebs, publicists and experts that have appeared on the show. PopEater columnist Rob Shuter: "I have been a guest on almost every entertainment show and can say without a doubt that no one is nicer than the amazing Mary Hart. Mary was always the first smiling face you saw when you jumped out of a limo at the top of every major red carpet. She will be dearly missed."
Hart joined 'ET' in its second season, replacing several co-anchors, including Tom Hallick and Marjorie Wallace. There has been no decision on Hart's replacement.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tori Spelling Confirms Dean McDermott's True Tori Departure; Scott Disick Argues With Kourtney Kardashian Over Need For Space: Top 5 Stories
- President Obama's Teenage Daughters Were Not Impressed During the White House Turkey Pardon -- Watch Their Priceless Reactions
- Jennifer Aniston Calls Justin Theroux Her "Creative Crush", Says He Will Spend 20 Minutes Trying to Scare Her at Night
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- Jessica Simpson Shares Adorable Photo of "Wild Turkeys" Maxwell and Ace at the Lake—See the Cute Pic!
- Remembering Paul Walker One Year Later: Cody Walker Reflects on His Brother's Life and Legacy
- Bill Cosby Joke Gone Wrong: Roseanne Barr Tweets Then Deletes Picture Post About Getting Into a "Tussle" With the Actor