Mary Hart Says She's Leaving 'Entertainment Tonight'
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 5th 2010 11:25AM
"I've had the privilege of spending 29 years doing something I love -- how often does that happen?" she said in a statement Thursday."I only meant to be at 'ET' for three years, suddenly it's almost 30!"
Hart, 59, said she's reached a point in her career where she realizes it's time to change things up. "There are many things I want to do in my life and I'd better get on with them."
Leaving will be bittersweet for Hart, who was inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in 1999.
"It will certainly be with mixed sentiments that I say 'goodbye' at the end of the season, but it will definitely be with a sense of celebration ... 30 years of Entertainment Tonight, are you kidding me?" she said. "That's an accomplishment and something I'm very proud of!"
Those accomplishments include being on the ground floor of entertainment new shows. Now, there is no shortage of airtime given to celebrity dish -- Access Hollywood, TMZ, The Insider -- but before them, there was 'ET' with Hart at the helm.
"ET and Mary Hart have created the genre of entertainment news," John Nogawski, President of CBS Television Distribution said. "Not only has she defined ET for almost three decades but she's defined entertainment journalism."
She's also made quite an impression on the hundreds of celebs, publicists and experts that have appeared on the show. PopEater columnist Rob Shuter: "I have been a guest on almost every entertainment show and can say without a doubt that no one is nicer than the amazing Mary Hart. Mary was always the first smiling face you saw when you jumped out of a limo at the top of every major red carpet. She will be dearly missed."
Hart joined 'ET' in its second season, replacing several co-anchors, including Tom Hallick and Marjorie Wallace. There has been no decision on Hart's replacement.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Real Housewives of New York City Recap: LuAnn and Ramona Fight About Dorinda's Boyfriend John
- Britt Nilsson, Bachelorette Contestant Brady Toops Go Public With Their Relationship -- See Their PDA Pics!
- Matt Bomer Looks Ridiculously Hot While Shirtless in a Wet Swimsuit in Hawaii: Pictures
- 'John Wayne Day' in Texas honors actor's 108th birthday
- Actor Sam Shepard arrested for drunken driving in Santa Fe
- B.B. King's family alleges he was poisoned; police deny murder investigation
- Archie Panjabi Breaks Silence on The Good Wife's "Faked" Kalinda-Alicia Scene & Whether She'll Return
- Justin Bieber Covers Boyz II Men's ''I'll Make Love to You'' and the Band Responds—Watch Now!
- Nikki Reed and Ian Somerhalder Can't Stop Kissing Each Other in New Wedding Day Video—Watch Now!