Drugs, Cash Were in Anna Nicole Smith's Death Room
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Aug 6th 2010 07:43AM
Detective Katherine Frank was the first witness to take the stand in the trial of Smith's lawyer-boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, and two doctors who have pleaded not guilty to conspiring to supply the model with vast amounts of powerful opiates and sedatives.
Smith, 39, was found dead in the Hollywood, Fla., room in February 2007.
Frank testified that shortly after her body was found and taken away, Stern fell to his knees in the room and began crying.
"He was visibly shaken with reddened eyes, tears and trembling," Frank said.
The account was elicited by Stern's lawyer, Steve Sadow, who has said Stern was in love with Smith and all his actions were directed at trying to help her.
The detective said a duffel bag found in the room at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel contained more than $8,000 in cash.
Smith's bodyguard Maurice Brighthaupt told police he was owed the money and demanded they hand it over, but they refused, Frank testified.
Brighthaupt was expected to testify Friday.
Under prosecution questioning, pharmacist Olga Kopetman identified multiple prescriptions written by defendant Dr. Khristine Eroshevich, a psychiatrist, to Anna Nicole Smith, Vicky Marshall, which is Smith's real name, and three other names, including Stearn, a misspelling of Stern, from 2003 to 2006. They were filled at a pharmacy in Studio City.
Some were for the painkiller Vicodin and anti-anxiety drugs Xanax and Zoloft. Others were for sleep and anti-seizure medications, the pharmacist said.
Stern paid for the drugs, Kopetman testified, with one bill totaling $4,474.
Kopetman and another pharmacist, Emma Avakian, testified that Stern frequently picked up drugs prescribed by Eroshovich, and that they never saw Anna Nicole Smith pick up her own prescriptions, which often included large quantities of drugs with refills available.
Avakian said one prescription for Valium provided 240 pills and was refilled after just three weeks.
Avakian said she was concerned about the amount of narcotics because "a patient can overdose and too much of it can kill them."
On cross-examination, Sadow asked if a patient taking many of the drugs over a long period would build a tolerance. Kopetman said that was possible, and the patient would have to receive larger doses for the drugs to be effective.
Superior Court Judge Robert Perry has said Smith's cause of death is not an issue in the trial of Stern, Eroshevich and Dr. Sandeep Kapoor. The defendants are not accused of causing Smith's death.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner Hanging Out With Hip-Hop Stars Chris Brown and Tyga: Details
- B.J. Novak Responds to Ex Mindy Kaling's Marriage Epiphany on Watch What Happens Live: Video
- NFL Player Joe Fauria Injured After Chasing Puppy Lil' Rufio Around House: Adorable Pictures
- Instagram Fakery: Khloe Kardashian Posts Workout Photo After Gym Session? But Trainer Gunnar Peterson Uploaded The Exact Same Picture Last Week!
- Teen Mom 2 Custody Battle Gets Brutal! Leah Messer's Ex Corey Reportedly Ramps Up His Fight For Their Twins Due To Her Pill Popping Ways
- Fireworks, Fights & Affairs? ‘RHOA’ Returns With New Cast Mates & Phaedra Parks Facing Cheating Allegations
- Gay gun activists: Growing LGBT push to support the Second Amendment
- Alyssa Milano is leaving 'Mistresses'
- Fans: Maroon 5's 'Animals' music video violent and 'disturbing'
- ESPN's Shelley Smith Reveals Breast Cancer Diagnosis: "Early Detection Will Safe My Life"
- Jennifer Garner On Trying to Balance Motherhood With Her...Cellphone?!, Reveals Favorite App
- New Horrible Bosses 2 Trailer Shows Awkward Sex Therapy Scene With Jennifer Aniston—Watch Now!