Madonna and Child Launch Material Girl Fashion Line For Teens
By John Mitchell Posted Aug 6th 2010 09:41AM
Now, every Tom, Dick and JWoww has a fashion line, and mostly they aren't anything to write home about. But when a real fashion icon, a star who has influenced trends both sartorial and cultural for decades, steps forward to put her stamp of approval on a line of clothing, the fashion elite jump to attention. And that's exactly what happened when Madonna launched her co-venture with daughter Lourdes, Material Girl.
"Everyone is in love with the collection and it has been flying off shelves since the launch," Alison Kmiotek, media relations manager at Macy's, which is carrying the line exclusively, tells PopEater.
While Her Madgesty is, as always, in charge of the brand's direction, Lourdes – or Lola, as she is called by her mama – is the real brains behind the actual clothes, which draw heavily on the 1980's-era punk and new wave styles made famous by her mother. "My role was really to make sure we were all going in the right direction and heading in the right direction, and that it was a line I could stand behind and be proud of and feel good about and one that she [Lola] could also feel represented her," Madonna said at a press event before the line's launch.
Taylor Momsen of 'Gossip Girl' was hand picked by Madonna and Lola to be the face of the brand, and says that it offers something for everyone. "You don't have to have a particular style to wear it, so, you know, it kind of covers all bases. It's very much about putting your own look together," the actress said at the Aug. 3 launch event at Macy's Herald Square. "I have a lot of favorite pieces. It's a very eclectic, mix and match things, so you can make a lot of looks out of a couple pieces."
Holly Thomas, vice president of media relations and cause marketing for Macy's, tells us that some of the most popular items so far have been from the "Lola's Closet" limited edition selection, which, as you might expect, draws its inspiration from styles worn by the burgeoning fashionista. "Lourdes is starting to become her own kind of fashion icon ... So I think her take on it is younger, a different generation, so I think the collaboration is gonna be great," one Macy's shopper said at the launch, which kept some eager ladies waiting on the streets of New York City for several hours.
"The crowds were waiting outside before the store was open," Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren told reporters. "The line was around the block, around the building."
But just who is a "Material Girl"? Well, that depends on who you ask.
"I think a Material Girl is a fearless girl that's not afraid to be bold and try things," one Macy's shopper said. But we think the original Material Girl explains it best: "A Material Girl is a girl that is interested in fashion and interested in music and interested in fun and has a sense of humor. [She] is an adventurous human being."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jay Z leads Grammy nominations with 9
- Actors who played real people
- Bob Dylan's Newport guitar sells in NY for $965,000
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- ?Vampire Diaries' actress Candice Accola stars in The Fray's ?Love Don't Die' video, kisses fiance Joe King ? VIDEO
- Austin Mahone Wants a Lamborghini for Christmas!
- Danica Patrick on Paul Walker's Death: ?It Feels a Little Bit Too Close to Home'
- Paul Walker's Memorial Service: All the Details
- Wendy Williams: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Original Sound of Music Star Slams Carrie Underwood, Olympian Bode Miller Opens Up About "Brutal" Custody Battle for Son: Top 5 Stories
- Drew Barrymore Teases Baby's Gender With Blue and Pink Nails: See the Picture of Her Manicure