Jill Biden's 'Army Wives' Guest-Spot a Hit for Vice President's Wife
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Aug 9th 2010 05:00PM
I'm wary of combining politics and entertainment. The moment you throw actors into the mix, informative messages are quick to become salacious, ratings grabbing, made for TV plots. But Sunday night, I'm pleased to say, Dr. Jill Biden disproved my skepticism.
Dr. Biden played herself in the much-anticipated 'Fun Run' episode. Teams of women representing Army, Marine, Navy and different military branches competed in an outdoor obstacle course of sorts. The proceeds from the event were going to send military kids to summer camp. Dr. Biden was the guest of honor, coming first to meet with the Army wives who organized the event, then kicking off the race and presenting medals at the closing ceremonies.
In a roundtable discussion over iced tea, the show's main characters talked about the trials and tribulations that come with being a military family. Dr. Biden, who proudly proclaimed to be a military mom herself, expressed gratitude and thanks on behalf of the entire White House for the sacrifices of those serving our country and their families.
The conversation was light and didn't turn partisan or even political. No timelines for leaving Afghanistan or Iraq were addressed, and no touchy topics like, "Don't ask, don't tell" were mentioned. And while Dr. Biden is a very attractive, eloquent woman, it was clear from her choppy delivery she doesn't exactly come from a theater background.
But Dr. Biden's purpose on the show wasn't to get an Emmy nomination, and 'Army Wives' wasn't looking to start any heated debates. Dr. Biden wanted to express her appreciation and admiration of those in the military and their families. She wanted to draw attention to her work with the military families and veterans initiative she's working with as a part of serve.gov.
The fan base of Army Wives is, in large part, real military families. By appearing as herself on the Lifetime drama, Dr. Biden was able to reach more of her target audience than she would have if she'd appeared on 'Larry King Live' or '60 Minutes.' Her role on the show drew significant attention to her PSA for Serve.gov, and she made effective use of primetime TV to target those most affected by her campaign.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bruce Jenner's Diane Sawyer Interview: Laverne Cox and More Celebs Embrace His Bravery -- Read Their Reactions Here
- Bruce Jenner E! Documentary Confirmed Following His Emotional Confession ? Get All the Details on the Eight-Part One-Hour Docuseries
- Bruce Jenner Tells Diane Sawyer: Kim "Has Been, By Far, the Most Accepting" of the Kardashians
- Bruce Jenner in interview: 'I am a woman'
- Sawyer Sweeten, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' child actor, dead at 19
- Comedian Artie Lange: It's not fair when people call me fat
- Everything We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Candid Diane Sawyer Interview
- Bruce Jenner Says Khloé Kardashian Is Taking His Transition the Hardest ''Because She's Had a Lot of Losses in Her Life''
- Bruce Jenner's Family Reacts to Diane Sawyer Interview: We Are "So Very Proud" of Our "Hero"