Julia Roberts Could Learn a Lot From Kim Kardashian
By Rob Shuter Posted Aug 16th 2010 10:00AM
With Sly Stallone crushing Julia Roberts in this weekend's box office, Hollywood is asking what the heck happened to America's favorite pretty woman? Experts tell me that surprisingly (okay, more like shockingly), omnipresent and self-promoting stars like Kim Kardashian are to blame.
"Julia has only headlined two films in almost 10 years -- discounting cameos and ensembles -- and so, like any paramour who plays hard to get, I think she lost her luster with audiences." Joe Neumaier, film critic for the New York Daily News, tells me. "The women who came of age with her since 'Pretty Woman' may associate with what her character goes through in 'Eat Pray Love,' but they may have gotten used to Julia in small doses."
Neumaier tells me that that a select demographic "was the only one who'd line up for this movie -- twentysomething girls won't relate, older women are past all that and guys headed to Stallone for roughneck refuge."
And while Julia has been hiding, none other than Kim Kardashian has transformed the way we interact with the stars we love. Kim lets her fans in on every aspect of her private life. Thanks to Twitter, her over 4 million followers, including me, know that last night she went to "the prettiest most magical wedding! Makes me believe in love!" Ahhhh, makes us love you too, Kim.
Julia deliberately keeps her distance from her fans, like a fair-weather friend who only calls when she wants us to go and see her movies. Then, after she has let us pay for the entire evening, she goes home and refuses to speak with us until she needs us again!
"Even Tom Cruise now has a Twitter account that he has a member of his team update," a studio executive told me, while laughing at the thought of Tom's little fingers actually having to update his own Twitter like the rest of us.
But even so, at least Tommy is trying to connect with his fans. And look at Angelina; although she has an account that she's never used, Angie connects with us all by great photo-ops with her kids that land her on the covers of magazines.
"A great picture of Angie and the kids or Kim Kardashian is worth thousands of dollars," a photo editor explains to me. "Whereas an image of Julia sells for around $20 bucks. None of the big magazine's think of her as a cover girl anymore and she's never the lead of the entertainment shows. These days, those slot beings to Angie, Kim or Kate Gosselin."
The one bit of good news is that she couldn't care less. A friend of Julia's tells me, "She has a ton of money, her great children and husband and although she loves acting, she couldn't care less if a photographer never took her picture again."
MORE ABOUT Kim Kardashian
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kim Kardashian Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian criticized for donating just 10 percent of ?charity auction' to typhoon victims
- Gym, Tan, Pokey? ?Jersey Shore' star's grand jury ?Situation'
- ?Out of the Furnace' review: Bale, Affleck and Harrelson shine but flick falls short
- Does The New 'Spider-Man' Trailer Tease A 'Sinister' Third Movie?
- 'Thor: The Dark World' Villain to Plague Iron Man in 2014
- Christina Applegate Ribs Her 'Anchorman 2' Co-Stars in New E! Special (Exclusive Video)
- Joe Manganiello talks new book ?Evolution,' makes a plea for his male stripper doc, and passes our Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Entertainment Geekly: Now let's cast the rest of the Justice League
- Amy Robach returns to ?Good Morning America' to share details of her breast cancer fight ? VIDEO
- Benedict Cumberbatch Proves That R. Kelly Lyrics Sound Better in a British Accent
- 'Warcraft' Casting: Ben Foster Among Four Actors to Join Video Game Adaptation
- Weekend Movies: 'Inside Llewyn Davis,' 'Out of the Furnace,' & More