Mel Gibson Crashes Car in Malibu
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 16th 2010 12:15PM
Mel Gibson crashed his car in Malibu on Sunday night. The actor lost control of his vehicle and struck a rocky hillside, sources tell TMZ.
"For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside. He stopped his car at the scene and was contacted by officers from the West Valley CHP Area," the report reads. "Mr. Gibson supplied all the pertinent information to the officers at the scene, gave a statement, and received a ride home from a friend."
Enough damage was done to Gibson's 2008 Maserati that it had to be towed from the scene of the accident. Mel himself was fine. Police inform TMZ that alcohol was not a factor.
A rep for the actor told PEOPLE, "He's fine."
Gibson told an officer on the scene he was not talking on phone and had not dozed off.
"There were no objective symptoms of intoxication, any level of impairment and we've ruled out speeding as well based on the damage to the car, which was moderate," California Highway Patrol spokesman Leland Tang tells PEOPLE. "Mr. Gibson was alert, oriented and cooperative."
Tang added, "I don't know how the car left the roadway. This has been ruled an accident. It could've happened to anyone."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Celebs donate $500,000 scholarships to students on UNCF show
- Lena Dunham: 'When I was raped, I felt powerless'
- Scarlett Johansson says it was hard being married to another actor
- 'Bob's Burgers' Creator Spills the Show's Secret to Success
- Todd McCarthy: Richard Corliss, "A Populist Critic in the Best Way"
- Sarah Hyland Talks Producing and Playing Complicated in 'See You In Valhalla' (Q&A)
- The Top 10 Cheesiest Movie Quotes of All Time
- 8 Bizarre Batman Facts You (Probably) Don't Know
- 9 Things We Want to See on 'Fuller House'