Priest Gives Ailing Zsa Zsa Gabor Her Last Rites
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 16th 2010 06:27AM
The famed socialite's publicist, John Blanchette, told reporters on Sunday that Gabor "has seen a priest and is not doing very well." He administered the Catholic sacrament Sunday morning at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center with Gabor's husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, by her side.
"It is a very difficult time for her family," Blanchette said.
Gabor, 93, was in surgery for several hours on Saturday to remove blood clots from her upper body, one of them very close to her heart. At the time, Blanchette sounded hopeful, saying Gabor would likely return home either Monday or Tuesday.
Blanchette said Saturday was Gabor's 24th wedding anniversary with von Anhalt, and the two were unable to have their traditional ice cream celebration.
Gabor had been hospitalized at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center since she broke her hip in a July 17 fall at her home in Bel-Air, California. The actress's condition began to deteriorate after hip replacement surgery a few days later, and she remained hospitalized for the following three weeks. On Tuesday, Gabor's publicist announced the actress had an infection.
Throughout her hospital stay, there were a series of conflicting reports intimating that she was near death (fueled by her husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt) as well as "going strong" (daughter Constance Francesca Hilton).
Gabor has been partially paralyzed since a 2002 car accident and had a stroke five years ago. Blanchette describes her as "pretty much bedridden and wheelchair-bound for the last eight years."
Zsa Zsa Snapshots
Zsa Zsa Gabor holds up a beaded purse removed from a 30-year-old trunk belonging to Marilyn Monroe at Planet Hollywood in Beverly Hills, April 10,1996. Check out more pics of the star >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cream vocalist, bassist Jack Bruce dies at 71
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- Rainn Wilson Show Drops Vine Star Curtis Lepore After Outcry
- Iron Man's Long History of Fighting His Fellow Avengers
- 'Laggies' Director Lynn Shelton on Connecting To Film About Growing Up Your Own Way
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming