Dr. Laura to Quit Radio Show Following N-Word Fit
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Aug 18th 2010 05:09AM
Schlessinger said she's not retiring or quitting. Instead, she said, she feels stronger and freer to say what she believes needs to be said.
"I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry -- some special interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates and sponsors," she said.
Schlessinger apologized last week for saying the N-word several times in an on-air conversation with a caller whom she accused of being hypersensitive to racism. She said on her website that she was wrong in using the word for what she said was an attempt to make a philosophical point.
"To imagine that there are people who refuse to accept an apology because they have an agenda and would like me silenced -- I'm done with that," she said.
During the on-air exchange, Schlessinger said the caller, who said she was black and married to a white man, was too sensitive for complaining that her husband's friends made racist comments about her in their home.
Schlessinger told King she "never called anybody a bad word" and "wasn't dissing anybody."
Corinne Baldassano, an executive with Schlessinger's production company, Take on the Day LLC, said the talk show host plans to pursue opportunities through her website, books, podcasts and a YouTube channel.
At least two national sponsors of her radio program, General Motors Co., and Motel 6, owned by Accor SA, have pulled out, Baldassano said.
Previously, Schlessinger's negative comments about homosexuality on her television show in 2000 inspired gay activists to campaign to get her off the air.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Daniel Radcliffe talks losing his virginity: I had a 'really good first time'
- Jennie Garth warns the newly famous: 'Don't believe the hype'
- Fifi Geldof posts angry rant following Peaches' autopsy results, report says
- Kristin Cavallari Struts in Short Shorts Two Months After Giving Birth: See Her Trendy Street Style
- Jennette McCurdy Says She's "Not a Role Model," Writes Lengthy Rant
- Iggy Azalea Tapped as House of Style Host for New Season
- Celebrities at Comic-Con International
- Food Frenzy! 12 Things You Didn't Know About Kale ? Watch And Learn About The Leafy Green!
- Kim Kardashian ? Coincidentally? ? Points Out Kanye West Starting Ski Mask Trend AFTER Jay-Z & Beyonc