'Misfit' Marilyn Monroe Portrayed in New Photos
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Aug 18th 2010 10:46AM
American photographer Eve Arnold is giving the world an intimate look at blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe. A batch of sixteen new images -- five taken in 1955, the rest in 1960 -- have popped up at Castle Galleries in the U.K., where a limited number of the prints will be for sale, with prices starting at $545. The rare images show the icon wearing a summer dress and carrying a puppy, while others show her in pigtails on the set of 'The Misfits.'
In the oldest of the images, Monroe is photographed on a trip to Bement, Ill., a small town where she was the guest of honor at the inauguration of a museum dedicated to her idol, Abraham Lincoln.
The black-and-white images include one of her from behind, fixing her famed locks at the Chicago airport's public restroom, and two others of her lounging around her hotel room in a pretty white eyelet dress with a boatneck collar.
The pair of color pictures from 1955 include a pensive Monroe on a plane to Illinois and a vampy image taken in Long Island, NY, where the then 29-year-old Monroe crawls on her belly through high grass while wearing a sexy strapless leopard-print dress.
The pictures Arnold took five years later (and two years before Monroe infamously sang 'Happy Birthday, Mr. President') focused on candids of Monroe working on the Nevada set of 'The Misfits,' where she dons high-waisted jeans, denim jackets, button-down tops, wide-brimmed hats and plaid pants along with a more feminine polka-dot dress.
Within those pictures, we also get an in-color look at Monroe's storied signature makeup -- heavy lashes with plenty of mascara, black eyeliner, darkly penciled brows and a coral-hued lipstick that we're hoping makes a comeback, stat.
The most provocative of the bunch is arguably a 1960 image of Monroe rolling around in bed and covering up her naked chest with a sheet.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cecil the Lion's Older Brother Jericho Illegally Killed After Walter J. Palmer Outrage
- Leolah Brown Interrupts Bobbi Kristina Brown's Funeral, Calls Out Pat Houston: "Whitney Is Rolling Over in Her Grave!"
- Valerie Harper Is Not in a Coma, Gives Update on Health After Hospitalization
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Actress Valerie Harper out of hospital, resting with family
- Carrie Underwood's Baby Boy Is the Ultimate Explorer While Hanging Out With Mike Fisher—See the Pic!
- Ashlee Simpson Ross & Evan Ross Give New Baby a Rock Star Name—Find Out What It Is!
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Funeral: Leolah Brown Leaves Church After Outburst—Find Out What She Said