Beyonce Talks Charity and Causes in 'Self'
Sporting long locks and dangling earrings, the star opens up to the magazine about her charitable work.
"I've always felt that you should give because it's what you can do to help," says the founder of the Beyonce Cosmetology Center and The Survivor Foundation. "You don't do it to get praised. For a long time, being quiet about what I did was a conscious decision."
"When you look around at all that's wrong in the world, the need to do something, no matter how big or how small, is clear."
The pop star, who helped the magazine celebrate its 2010 SELF Women Doing Good Awards, cites mother Tina Knowles as her inspiration and admits she is not perfect. "I promise I'm working on this, but I could be less messy at home and keep the clothes in my closet and off the floor," she tells the magazine.
As for her much coveted free time, Beyonce loves to spend time with family and friends -- going to dinners, seeing plays and visiting museums. The singer-actress admits, "I know it's time to jump back into my work when everything I do starts inspiring lyrics and melodies and I can't keep myself out of the studio."
More photos of Beyonce at SELF here.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT Beyonce Knowles
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Beyonce Knowles Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- Michael B. Jordan Talks Fantastic Four Reboot, Says He Wants to Direct
- CeeLo Green's TBS Show The Good Life Canceled After Controversial Rape Tweets
- Real Housewives of Atlanta New Cast: See All of the Women of Season 7 in First Photos
- Kim Kardashian Wears Chainmail While Kanye West Smiles At GQ Men Of The Year Awards
- Angelina Jolie Honors Late Mother At Her Nuptials To Brad Pitt
- In The Midst Of Drugging Scandal, TBS Cancels Cee Lo Green’s ‘The Good Life’