Beyonce Talks Charity and Causes in 'Self'
Sporting long locks and dangling earrings, the star opens up to the magazine about her charitable work.
"I've always felt that you should give because it's what you can do to help," says the founder of the Beyonce Cosmetology Center and The Survivor Foundation. "You don't do it to get praised. For a long time, being quiet about what I did was a conscious decision."
"When you look around at all that's wrong in the world, the need to do something, no matter how big or how small, is clear."
The pop star, who helped the magazine celebrate its 2010 SELF Women Doing Good Awards, cites mother Tina Knowles as her inspiration and admits she is not perfect. "I promise I'm working on this, but I could be less messy at home and keep the clothes in my closet and off the floor," she tells the magazine.
As for her much coveted free time, Beyonce loves to spend time with family and friends -- going to dinners, seeing plays and visiting museums. The singer-actress admits, "I know it's time to jump back into my work when everything I do starts inspiring lyrics and melodies and I can't keep myself out of the studio."
More photos of Beyonce at SELF here.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT Beyonce Knowles
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Beyonce Knowles Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Garth Brooks may surpass Elvis Presley by releasing digital music
- Peaches Geldof died from a heroin overdose after relapse, coroner says
- Snoop Dogg: I smoked weed 'in the bathroom' at the White House
- Taylor Swift Recalls Embarrassing School Pictures: "My Style Forever Was Going to Be Cornrows"
- Weird Al Claims First Number One Album of Career With Mandatory Fun Topping Billboard 200
- Mark Ruffalo Loses Wallet, Stranger Retrieves It: See the Sweet Twitter Exchange
- Every Dog Has His Day: Man Who Imprisoned Mentally Ill Woman & Her Daughter ? Threatening Her With Pit Bulls & Pythons ? Gets 30 Years In Federal Prison
- Jimmy Fallon & Dwayne Johnson’s Workout Videos
- Rachel McAdams Shines at Premiere of ‘A Most Wanted Man’ at the Museum of Modern Art