Beyonce Talks Charity and Causes in 'Self'
Sporting long locks and dangling earrings, the star opens up to the magazine about her charitable work.
"I've always felt that you should give because it's what you can do to help," says the founder of the Beyonce Cosmetology Center and The Survivor Foundation. "You don't do it to get praised. For a long time, being quiet about what I did was a conscious decision."
"When you look around at all that's wrong in the world, the need to do something, no matter how big or how small, is clear."
The pop star, who helped the magazine celebrate its 2010 SELF Women Doing Good Awards, cites mother Tina Knowles as her inspiration and admits she is not perfect. "I promise I'm working on this, but I could be less messy at home and keep the clothes in my closet and off the floor," she tells the magazine.
As for her much coveted free time, Beyonce loves to spend time with family and friends -- going to dinners, seeing plays and visiting museums. The singer-actress admits, "I know it's time to jump back into my work when everything I do starts inspiring lyrics and melodies and I can't keep myself out of the studio."
More photos of Beyonce at SELF here.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT Beyonce Knowles
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Beyonce Knowles Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper: I see dead wrestlers
- Theresa Vail: From Army to Miss America to the Outdoor Channel
- Brian Johnson: Reports of AC/DC's death greatly exaggerated
- Jenny McCarthy Is Engaged to Donnie Wahlberg, Makes Announcement on The View: See Her Ring!
- The View Reunion Planned for May With Past and Present Hosts Including Meredith Vieira, Star Jones, Rosie O'Donnell
- X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer: Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, and More Reunite For Fantasy Adventure Sequel