Is Justin Bieber the Best Thing to Ever Happen to Proactiv?
By Jo Piazza Posted Aug 20th 2010 10:20AM
Formerly pimply celebs who have appeared in Proactiv ads include Jessica Simpson, Katy Perry, Mandy Moore, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and Alicia Keys.
Proactiv's most recent coup is teen sensation Justin Bieber, who recently signed on as a spokesperson for the brand. But did the acne company have any idea of the awesomeness they were tapping into when they brought on the Biebs? If they didn't before they certainly do now, and you can bet a bunch of suits with really great skin have been high-fiving each other this week.
On the day it was unveiled, Bieber's endorsement clip received 125,000 views on YouTube and another 500,000 views on Proactiv's website, Billboard magazine reveals in its upcoming issue.
And the deal was worth it for the Biebs, who is set to receive $3 million over two years for his endorsement, an industry source revealed to Billboard. Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun, said that his client signed on with the brand because Justin actually uses it. "I never want to do anything with Justin's brand that isn't organic. He isn't manufactured." (P.S. We love it when a celeb manager has the cajones to refer to their client as a brand.)
During the initial negotiations, Braun pointed out a zit on Bieber's face to the Proactiv team. The Biebs got mad and stalked away.
The 16-year-old's team originally asked for a figure that was more than Proactiv thought the singer was worth. The company changed their mind after seeing the enormous response to his 'My World' album and approached Bieber's team a second time.
His Internet appeal is largely why Guthy-Renker, which markets and sells Proactiv, chose Bieber. They're banking on Bieber Fever to drive sales in a big way with the teen girl market. Roughly 60 percent of Proactiv sales are over the Internet. Most of the orders that have come in since Bieber signed on have been from the mothers of tweens.
"Are 12-year-old girls going to buy Proactiv? No. They ask their mom to buy Proactiv. In the last 24 hours, we've had mothers buying it, which is what we wanted to occur," said Greg Renker, co-founder of Guthy-Renker.
The company chose the smooth-skinned singer, who has never had a real problem with acne, to push their new prevention line, Proactiv Plus. "I'm using this product every day because I don't want to get acne," Bieber says in the campaign.
And if it's good enough for him, you can bet it will be good enough for at least a million teenage girls.
MORE ABOUT Justin Bieber
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Justin Bieber Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Live-action ?Static Shock,' ?Mortal Kombat' unveiled as part of WB digital slate
- What is going on at Marvel? A PopWatch conspiracy theory
- Someone made a real hoverboard, so you should maybe get excited a little bit
- What Are Kerry Washington's Makeup Must-Haves?
- The Palin Family Brawl in Alaska: Listen to Bristol Describe Her Beatdown!
- Kris Jenner Responds to Rumors She Was on a Date with a Mystery Man
- Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Suffering From Morning Sickness; Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump and Cleavage: Top 5 Stories
- Uma Thurman's 16-Year-Old Daughter Maya Looks Almost Identical to Her -- See the Mini-Me Picture!
- A Man in Chicago Told President Obama to Not Flirt With His Fiancee and It Was Amazing -- Watch Here