Wyclef Jean: 'Haiti Has Disqualified Me' for Presidency
"It is with a heavy heart that I tell you today that the board of elections in Haiti has disqualified me from my run for the presidency of the country. Though I disagree with the ruling, I respectfully accept the committee's final decision, and I urge my supporters to do the same. We must all honor the memories of those we've lost--whether in the earthquake, or at anytime--by responding peacefully and responsibly to this disappointment.
I was inspired to run for president because I know Haiti can become great with the right leadership, and I believe I could be that leader; but, ultimately, we must respect the rule of law in order for our island to become the great nation we all aspire for it to be.
I want to assure my countrymen that I will continue to work for Haiti's renewal; though the board has determined that I am not a resident of Haiti, home is where the heart is--and my heart has and will always be in Haiti. This ruling just tells me that I can't officially seek the office of president. More importantly, there is no one who can tell me to stop my work in Haiti, and there is no one who could. I think of my daughter, Angelina, and it makes me want to redouble my efforts to help give all the children in Haiti better days.
I also want to honor the memory of my father, a minister; I know that he would tell me that even though I've faced a setback, I must continue in all my good-faith efforts to help Haiti turn a corner to a better and brighter future. Do not think that my role in the future of Haiti is over; it's just a different role than I had anticipated it to be.
Rest assured, this isn't the end of my efforts to help improve my beloved country but only marks a new beginning.
Signed, Wyclef Jean"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Mike Nichols' Death: Grieving Diane Sawyer Steps Out; Celebs Pay Respects
- ?SNL' Recap: Cameron Diaz Raps Like a ?Baller,' Bruno Mars Gets Funky and More!
- Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin Tease 'The Flash' and 'Arrow' Crossover Episodes
- AMAs Red Carpet Roundup: Jennifer Lopez, Fergie Sizzle on the Red Carpet, While Ansel Elgort, Frankie J. Take Huge Fashion Risks
- Ariana Grande Jazzes Up the 2014 American Music Awards With Smooth Performance of "Problem," "Love Me Harder"
- Lorde Thrashes Around, Gives Energetic Performance of "Yellow Flicker Beat" at 2014 AMAs: Watch Now, Plus Taylor Swift's Audience Dancing!