Martin Short's Wife, Nancy Dolman, Dies at 58
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 23rd 2010 07:04PM
The family has not disclosed the cause of death, but a coroner official told PEOPLE on Tuesday that Dolman was "under the care of a private physician for a natural disease" when she died. "There will be no coroner involvement, L.A. County Coroner Chief Craig Harvey noted.
On Saturday morning, the Los Angeles City Fire Department went to their home in response to an emergency call. The response unit was on the scene for 30 minutes before departing without taking anyone to the hospital. It's believed Dolman passed away at their house. RadarOnline.com was first to report the news.
Dolman was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and underwent surgery at that time though it's not immediately clear if her passing was related to her illness.
Dolman, best known for a recurring role as Annie Selig Tate on the TV sitcom 'Soap,' met Short in 1972 while both were working on a stage production of 'Godspell.' She was Gilda Radner's understudy, but quickly caught the attention of Short. They married in 1980 and five years later she retired from acting to raise their family.
The couple has three children: Katherine Elizabeth, 27, Oliver Patrick, 24, and Henry, 20.
Short as "Ed Grimley" during a sketch on 'SCTV.' Dolman plays the princess at 3:30:
Short, known for guarding his private life, has dealt with great family tragedy before. In a 1984 interview with PEOPLE, the actor spoke of losing his oldest brother in an auto accident when Martin was only 12, and of the deaths of both his parents before he was 21.
"It sounds like a tragic family, but it really isn't," he said. "My mother had cancer, and she had been ill and then in remission since I was 13. She was a remarkable person; both my parents were. So I never looked at it as if it was a tragedy – that I didn't have them my whole life. You learn some sense of priorities. Our whole family took the attitude that if you have wonderful moments, don't second-guess them, just enjoy them."
Short, famous for his time on 'Saturday Night Live' and his character in the 'Father of the Bride' film franchise, was nominated for an Emmy in the Best Supporting Actor For A Drama category for his stint on 'Damages.'
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Tears, argument and an ultrasound at 'Men Tell All'
- Fred Armisen Partners With Heineken on 'The Payphone' Social Experiment (Exclusive Video)
- GLAAD Report Says Many LGBT Characters in Studio Films Were Defamatory Portrayals
- Lionsgate, Comcast Partner on 'Divergent' Digital Content
- ?The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All': ?I had no idea you guys were kissing her so fast!'
- A serious attempt to understand Blake Lively's Goop-like website
- Dwayne Johnson maybe just revealed that he's playing a ?Justice League' superhero
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- This 'You've Got To Be Kidding Me' Supercut Is One For The Ages