Why Classy Elin Nordegren Broke Her Silence
By Rob Shuter Posted Aug 26th 2010 08:40AM
After months of remaining silent, Elin Nordegren's team contacted PEOPLE magazine for a one-time interview so the now ex-wife of troubled golfer Tiger Woods could finally tell her side of the story.
"After Elin contacted the magazine, she went back and forth many times about doing the interview," a well-placed source tells me. "This was a major step for Elin and something she thought long and hard about. She wanted to correct a lot of the stories in the press, but at the same time didn't want to do a tell-all interview that would pick a scab off a very ugly period for her."
Elin has certainly focused everyone's attention back on the whole Tiger saga, however, several editors tell me this was a very, very smart move.
"Sitting down and doing one big interview and photo shoot will hopefully put the period at the end of the sentence," a magazine insider tells me. "She spent over 19 hours with the magazine and never lost her cool. She came across as a class act. A total lady."
The insider believes it was whip-smart of Elin to do print rather than the TV interviews she's been offered.
"Print is more removed than TV. You can stop a print interview at any moment and take a break to regain your thoughts," the source explains. "Whoever is advising Elin should also be advising Tiger. This is the perfect response to what he did to her."
And it looks like it won't just be Elin who benefits from this. Sources tell me PEOPLE has increased the number of magazines they are printing this week. Something they haven't done since they debuted Angelina and Brad Pitt's twins!
No money exchanged hands for this interview. Sources tell me, "it wasn't about the money for Elin."
That isn't hard to believe, as I've been told her settlement is in the $100 million range.
This photo taken Nov. 31, 2009 shows Tiger Woods,his daughter Sam Woods and wife Elin Nordegren, before a NCAA college football game in Stanford, Calif. Woods and his wife are officially divorced. The lawyers for Woods and Nordegren said in a statement that the divorce became official Monday Aug. 23, 2010, in Bay County Circuit Court, in Panama City, Fla. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Splitsville -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- One Direction, Katy Perry each win three American Music Awards
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- American Music Awards 2014: The 5 Biggest and Best Moments From the Show
- Jennifer Lopez, Iggy Azalea Bring Down the House at 2014 American Music Awards With "Booty"
- Fergie Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction During 2014 AMAs "L.A.Love" Performance, Robe Hangs Off Her Butt: Watch Now!
- The Best, Worst & Wackiest Dressed Stars At The 2014 American Music Awards
- Scott Parties While Pregnant Kourtney Posts About ‘Choices’ On Instagram
- Miley Looks Like A Muppet At Her Raunchy Birthday Celebration