Newcomers Dominate Podium at the Emmy Awards, Capped with A Big Win for 'Modern Family'
By AOL TV Editors Posted Aug 29th 2010 11:08PM
Newcomers ruled the early part of the 62nd Annual Primetime Emmys.
'Modern Family' took home Best Comedy after its debut season, ending a multi-year run for '30 Rock.'
'The Closer' star Kyra Sedgwick stunned prognosticators by winning her first Emmy for Best Actress in a Drama, beating out frontrunner Julianna Margulies ('The Good Wife') and previous winner Glenn Close ('Damages').
Though Margulies lost, her co-star Archie Panjabi became another first-time winner in the Supporting Drama Actress category.
She was joined by 'Breaking Bad' star Aaron Paul, who won his first Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama, beating out strong contenders including 'Lost' stars (and previous winners) Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn.
It was a year of firsts, with new comedies 'Modern Family' and 'Glee' racking up wins, while 'The Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons became another new winner for the Best Comedy Actor in a Comedy trophy. And Edie Falco, who won three Emmys for her dramatic acting on 'The Sopranos,' was rewarded for showing her range on 'Nurse Jackie' with a trophy for Best Comedy Actress.
A repeat favorite that found its way to the podium again was 'Mad Men,' which was a repeat winner for Best Drama.
Another first-time winner shocked in the Best Reality Competition category, when 'Top Chef' beat out perennial winner 'The Amazing Race.'
The ceremony kicked off with a musical number featuring host Jimmy Fallon singing and playing guitar to 'Born to Run,' joined by TV stars Tina Fey, Jon Hamm, Kate Gosselin, Jorge Garcia as well as the stars of 'Glee.'
The only category that didn't surprise was Best Drama Actor; Bryan Cranston won the award for the third year in a row.
'Modern Family' has already racked up so many awards that series star Sofia Vergara* may just have to run naked through Hollywood, as a full-page ad in Variety promised. (* Or Ed O'Neill).
One of the stars of the show, Eric Stonestreet, won the evening's first award, Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. He was followed by co-creator Steve Levitan for Best Comedy Writing.
Fellow comedy newcomer 'Glee' also got its share, with star Jane Lynch taking home the trophy for Best Supporting Actress in a comedy, thanking her "lord and creator Ryan Murphy" and her younger castmates -- despite her "seething jealousy." Murphy himself won the award for Best Comedy Series Directing.
The Bob Hope Humanitarian Award was presented by Margulies to her former 'ER' co-star George Clooney for his work organizing relief telethons such as the one for Haiti earthquake victims.
In the miniseries category, HBO's 'Temple Grandin' was a big winner, winning Best Made-for-TV Movie, Best Movie/Miniseries Actress (Claire Danes) and Best Supporting Actress (Julia Ormond) among other awards. Al Pacino took home the award as Best Movie/Miniseries Actor for 'You Don't Know Jack.' Meanwhile, producer Tom Hanks accepted the award for Best Miniseries for HBO's epic 'The Pacific.' Get Full LIst of Emmy Winners
2010 Emmys Red Carpet Pics
Kate Gosselin blows us a kiss from the 2010 Emmy Awards red carpet. See photos of all the top dresses >>>
Jason Merritt, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Elisabeth Moss Calls Fred Armisen Marriage "Extremely Traumatic," Mad Men Star Goes Topless for New York Magazine
- The Bachelor: The Top 5 Biggest, Baddest Splits Ever
- Lena Dunham Deletes, Apologizes For Molestation Tweet: "Even Naked Girls Get Embarrassed"
- Jennifer Aniston: I’d Like To Have Gisele’s Body
- Oscar Pistorius Murder Trial: Accused Murderer Vomits During Stirring Testimony Regarding Girlfriend’s Injuries
- Justin Bieber struggles with vocabulary, curses at court reporter during deposition
- '19 Kids and Counting' stars: We won't kiss until marriage
- ?True Detective' finale crashes HBO GO
- Elisabeth Moss Talks "Traumatic and Awful" Marriage to Fred Armisen: "I'm Glad I Didn't Have Kids"
- Aretha Franklin on President Obama's "Respect" Flub: "Spelling and Giving It Is a Huge Difference"
- Miley Cyrus Goes Face-Deep in Amazon Ashley's Boobs, Motorboats Dancer's Cleavage—See the Pic!