Which Major Celebs Turned Down 'Dancing With the Stars'?
Sure, the new 'Dancing With the Stars' lineup looks swell. But hearing what could have been -- Sylvester Stallone! Condoleezza Rice! Tim Allen! Ann Coulter! Suzanne Somers! -- yeah, it stings a bit.
The Hollywood Reporter nabbed a behind-the-scenes look at the show's failed conquests, speaking to a source involved with casting the reality dance series and speaking to executive producer Conrad Green. "We've approached a lot of people over the years," Green says. "People say no for a variety of reasons. Some people like the show but think they suck at dancing. It's a lot easier to say no than it is to say yes."
Other stars who've turned the show down include Kirstie Alley, Joel McHale, Drew Carey, Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg, the real-life Erin Brockovich and British billionaire Richard Branson.
Rejections go both ways -- stars like Melissa Joan Hart have successfully campaigned to get on the show in the past, but according to THR's casting source, Melanie Griffith tries and fails to appear on 'DWTS' every year.
In the first six seasons of 'Dancing,' just two reality TV stars appeared: Kim Kardashian and 'Bachelor' gal Trista Sutter. Now, reality stars pepper the field consistently, including Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino of 'Jersey Shore' and Audrina Patridge of 'The Hills' on the upcoming 11th season.
"Every season you move things forward," Green says. "When we first started, there weren't many reality shows, now there are a billion of them. Everyone interesting to watch has either had a reality show or been approached for one. Those are the people buzzed about, and they are the same people that will make our show compelling to watch."Other interesting tidbits we learned from THR's behind-the-scenes glimpse include the stipulation that all contestants receive the same payment for participating, the stars lose some of their paycheck if they shirk the grueling rehearsal schedule, and no one gets to bring in their personal hair or makeup team.
And the gossip is already starting. Sarah Palin's daughter, Bristol, is being pegged as the new Kate Gosselin, aka Ms. Difficult, THR's insider says. "Bristol was really annoyed by all the questions about whether her mom would be in the audience to support her. She kept complaining about the amount of press she had to do. She is acting like this is all a big pain."
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Selma Blair on Playing Kris Jenner in American Crime Story: "I Don't Have Enough Good Things to Say About Her"
- Macklemore Shares Sweet Pic Napping With His Baby Girl: "There Is Nothing Better"
- Evan Ross' Sweet Birthday Message to Wife Ashlee Simpson
- 'Real Housewife' star Jill Zarin in car accident
- French Ministry hosts dwarf fashion show
- Filming begins in Dubai for new movie 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Hillary Clinton Returns to Saturday Night Live With a Message for Donald Trump—Watch Now!
- Tori Spelling Takes the Ultimate Lie-Detector Test: 5 Most Shocking Revelations From the Beverly Hills, 90210 Star
- Newlyweds Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Are the Perfect Match in Black at The Leftovers Premiere