Photo: Lady Gaga Raises Her Torch as the Statue of Liberty
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Sep 2nd 2010 10:00PM
Pretty unsurprisingly, Gaga, dressed as a disheveled Statue of Liberty, appears in hardly anything aside from a lacy black bra and matching Calvin Klein panties with a beautiful buff-colored Louis Vuitton evening gown falling around her hips.
Her ever-changing tresses are blondish-gray with a portion pointing straight up in seven spikes. She carries a burning torch (made by the Haus of Gaga) to complete the iconic statue effect.
"Just as the Statue of Liberty was France's gift to America, Gaga is, to us, New York's greatest gift to pop culture and fashion," V editor Stephen Gan says in the issue. "She embodies everything V is about, and is also a beacon of the city's creativity and hope."
"Exactly one year after her first V cover (the first fashion magazine cover she was on), we decided to do the New York Issue, and she was the first person who came to mind to represent our great city," he says. "In the year that's passed, she has become a bona fide genius and we can safely declare her our muse."
The cover of issue #67 was shot by Mario Testino and styled by Gaga's stylist Nicola Formichetti, while the V logo was created out of gum by New York-based artist Dan Colen. (Artists Nate Lowman and Spencer Sweeney take on the letter for two separate covers -- see them here!)
Another photograph of the duo -- in which Jacobs pushes Gaga around in a shopping cart, her crippling platform boots by Noritaka Tatehana stuck in the air -- opens a spread featuring a roster of other New Yorkers including Chloe Sevigny (in Miu Miu), Liya Kebede (in Dsquared), Debbie Harry, and Mark Ronson.
Lady Gaga Snapshots
Lady Gaga refuses to dress down while making her way through Vancouver International Airport. See More Photos of the Stylish Superstar
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amalie Lee documents recovery from anorexia on Instagram
- How 'Fear of The Walking Dead' star Elizabeth Rodriguez deals with gore
- Miley Cyrus disses Taylor Swift: 'I don't want to be in the squad'
- Extra Scoop: Josh Duggar ‘Lived a Covert and Extensive Life of Evil' Says Jessa's Father-in-Law
- Emmy Rossum Is Engaged to 'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail
- Brody Jenner Talks Deejaying and Caitlyn as He Helps Open SKY Waikiki
- Joan Rivers Honored in Fashion Police Return, Daughter Melissa Introduces New "What Would Joan Say?" Segment
- Peta Murgatroyd Pulls Out of Dancing With The Stars Season 21 Due to Ankle Injury: Details
- Taylor Swift, Brother Austin Swift Stay Humble, Share Awesome #TBT Photo of Life on the Farm