Jamie Lee Curtis Says Recovery From Drug Addiction Is Her 'Single Greatest Accomplishment'
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 7th 2010 01:07PM
"My recovery is the single greatest accomplishment of my life. And without that, the rest of my life would have fallen apart," Curtis, who appeared to promoted her new book, 'My Mommy Hung the Moon,' said.
When asked how she succeeded, the actress chalked it up to "the miracle of recovery." Watch:
"Some people get it. Robert Downey Jr. was in prison for a year. And he is not only the greatest movie star in the world, he's a fantastic representative of someone who can repair the damage of their life. Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in a shambles and you have to change it. I was lucky, I didn't have to lose anything," she explained.
"Recovery and motherhood are the two single greatest things in my life," Curtis added.
In the wake of Michael Jackson's death last year, Curtis admitted in a Huffington Post blog that she had once been addicted to painkillers.
"I too found painkillers after a routine cosmetic surgical procedure and I too became addicted, the morphine becomes the warm bath from which to escape painful reality. I was a lucky one. I was able to see that the pain had started long ago and far away and that the finding the narcotic was merely a matter of time," she wrote.
In an interview with More magazine (via The New York Daily News), the 'You Again' star revealed she became addicted to pills at the age of 35. "No one knew," she said of her troubles.
In the same interview, the 51-year-old revealed that she also drank to ease the "loneliness" she felt and that many of her issues were caused by the pressure to be young and thin in Hollywood.
Curtis has now been sober for over 10 years.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kendall Jenner Just Landed Another Huge Gig: Find Out Which Brand Hired the Rising Model!
- Mike Nichols Mourned by Al Pacino After Death: "He Was the Greatest Director I Ever Worked With"
- Ryan Gosling Gets Restraining Order Against Stalker Who Believes She's His "Twin"
- Travis Alexander Never Loved Jodi Arias, Expert Testifies: Inside Their ?Below The Waist' Relationship
- Fame Over Friends: Money-Hungry Kardashians Have ‘Forgotten’ The Little People In Their Quest For Spotlight, Pals Claim
- Bill Cosby to remain trustee at Temple University
- Country singer Ty Herndon comes out as gay
- CBS news chairman Jeff Fager steps down, stays at '60 Minutes'