Jamie Lee Curtis Says Recovery From Drug Addiction Is Her 'Single Greatest Accomplishment'
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 7th 2010 01:07PM
"My recovery is the single greatest accomplishment of my life. And without that, the rest of my life would have fallen apart," Curtis, who appeared to promoted her new book, 'My Mommy Hung the Moon,' said.
When asked how she succeeded, the actress chalked it up to "the miracle of recovery." Watch:
"Some people get it. Robert Downey Jr. was in prison for a year. And he is not only the greatest movie star in the world, he's a fantastic representative of someone who can repair the damage of their life. Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in a shambles and you have to change it. I was lucky, I didn't have to lose anything," she explained.
"Recovery and motherhood are the two single greatest things in my life," Curtis added.
In the wake of Michael Jackson's death last year, Curtis admitted in a Huffington Post blog that she had once been addicted to painkillers.
"I too found painkillers after a routine cosmetic surgical procedure and I too became addicted, the morphine becomes the warm bath from which to escape painful reality. I was a lucky one. I was able to see that the pain had started long ago and far away and that the finding the narcotic was merely a matter of time," she wrote.
In an interview with More magazine (via The New York Daily News), the 'You Again' star revealed she became addicted to pills at the age of 35. "No one knew," she said of her troubles.
In the same interview, the 51-year-old revealed that she also drank to ease the "loneliness" she felt and that many of her issues were caused by the pressure to be young and thin in Hollywood.
Curtis has now been sober for over 10 years.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner on Kylie Jenner Turning 18 And Moving Out: "She's Handling It Really Well"
- Heaven King Slays the Viral Game With New "Hit the Quan" Music Video
- Scott Disick Jammed Out to Kanye West Club Music With Rod and Kimberly Stewart: Details
- MTV prepared for Miley Cyrus, will air VMAs on a delay
- 1st African-American actor to play Jean Valjean on Broadway dies
- ‘The Good Wife's' Christine Baranski talks Emmys, season 7 excitement
- 2015 MTV Video Music Awards: 5 Things You Have to Know About Tonight's Unpredictable Show
- Did The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman Just Throw Shade at Ex Josh Murray? See for Yourself!
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel's Son Axl Is the Cutest "Little Maverick" on His Second Birthday—See the Pic!