Michael Douglas Talks Regrets of Fatherhood
Not long before announcing his battle with stage-four throat cancer, Michael Douglas told Men's Journal in a candid interview that he regretted placing his acting work above his real-life role as a father.
"My career was really just getting started and that was my focus, maybe more than it should have been. I was gone more than I should have been," Douglas says of son Cameron's upbringing. Earlier this year, drug charges landed Cam five years in prison.
Douglas, who at the time called the prison sentence "adequate," told Men's Journal: "I just want to talk to him about what he's going to accomplish there besides working out and playing on the softball team. What tools is he going to be able to work on?"
"When I had Cameron, I was early in my career and as opposed to most jobs, making movies takes you all around the world, so you were absentee in that sense," Douglas told NBC's 'Today' show in May. "My priorities have completely changed. My marriage and my families come certainly before my career."
Of his own actor father, Douglas told Men's Journal, "He was a rager early on. He was overworked. He was doing five-plus pictures a year. I just sort of stayed out of his way, but he did the best he could."
Douglas told David Letterman last week that he will endure eight weeks of radiation treatment and chemotherapy to treat his throat cancer but is hopeful about his chances for recovery, pegging the odds at 80 percent.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Joey Fatone and Nick Carter are feuding
- Missy describes Uncle Si as 'tenderhearted' and 'a bit crazy'
- Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice discuss 'Jesus Christ Superstar'
- Tribeca: Scorsese's Longtime Editor Thelma Schoonmaker Dissects 'Raging Bull'
- 'Orphan Black' Declassified: EP Breaks Down Season 2 Premiere's Big Reveals
- Former ABC News Exec David Burke Dies at 78
- James Franco and other celebs who just can't stand criticism
- This Week on Stage: James Franco dishes, Audra McDonald dazzles (again)
- Is Gwen Stefani a good fit for ?The Voice'? ? POLL
- 'The Normal Heart' Trailer: Mark Ruffalo Speaks Out (VIDEO)
- Watch the Chilling Opening Scene to Joss Whedon's 'In Your Eyes' (VIDEO)
- Steven Spielberg's Next Movie May Be Religious Drama 'The Kidnapping of Eduardo Mortara'