Michael Douglas Talks Regrets of Fatherhood
Not long before announcing his battle with stage-four throat cancer, Michael Douglas told Men's Journal in a candid interview that he regretted placing his acting work above his real-life role as a father.
"My career was really just getting started and that was my focus, maybe more than it should have been. I was gone more than I should have been," Douglas says of son Cameron's upbringing. Earlier this year, drug charges landed Cam five years in prison.
Douglas, who at the time called the prison sentence "adequate," told Men's Journal: "I just want to talk to him about what he's going to accomplish there besides working out and playing on the softball team. What tools is he going to be able to work on?"
"When I had Cameron, I was early in my career and as opposed to most jobs, making movies takes you all around the world, so you were absentee in that sense," Douglas told NBC's 'Today' show in May. "My priorities have completely changed. My marriage and my families come certainly before my career."
Of his own actor father, Douglas told Men's Journal, "He was a rager early on. He was overworked. He was doing five-plus pictures a year. I just sort of stayed out of his way, but he did the best he could."
Douglas told David Letterman last week that he will endure eight weeks of radiation treatment and chemotherapy to treat his throat cancer but is hopeful about his chances for recovery, pegging the odds at 80 percent.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen have hit a 'rocky point' but still 'in love'
- Maddie & Tae follow up their controversial tune with debut album 'Start Here'
- Better blonde or brunette?
- Justin Bieber Explains Crying, Sings Country and Performs "What Do You Mean" on 'Tonight Show'
- MIPCOM: Harvey Weinstein to Give Keynote
- Hayao Miyazaki to Build Nature Sanctuary for Children on Remote Japanese Island
- 11 Times Disney Movies Ripped Our Hearts Out
- The 23 Best Teen Horror Movies Ever, Ranked
- Here's Lucy! Cate Blanchett to Play Lucille Ball