Michael Douglas Talks Regrets of Fatherhood
Not long before announcing his battle with stage-four throat cancer, Michael Douglas told Men's Journal in a candid interview that he regretted placing his acting work above his real-life role as a father.
"My career was really just getting started and that was my focus, maybe more than it should have been. I was gone more than I should have been," Douglas says of son Cameron's upbringing. Earlier this year, drug charges landed Cam five years in prison.
Douglas, who at the time called the prison sentence "adequate," told Men's Journal: "I just want to talk to him about what he's going to accomplish there besides working out and playing on the softball team. What tools is he going to be able to work on?"
"When I had Cameron, I was early in my career and as opposed to most jobs, making movies takes you all around the world, so you were absentee in that sense," Douglas told NBC's 'Today' show in May. "My priorities have completely changed. My marriage and my families come certainly before my career."
Of his own actor father, Douglas told Men's Journal, "He was a rager early on. He was overworked. He was doing five-plus pictures a year. I just sort of stayed out of his way, but he did the best he could."
Douglas told David Letterman last week that he will endure eight weeks of radiation treatment and chemotherapy to treat his throat cancer but is hopeful about his chances for recovery, pegging the odds at 80 percent.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Watch Intense New Trailer for Fox's Hip-Hop Drama 'Empire'
- ABC's 'Manhattan Love Story' Canceled
- Morelia Film Fest: Transgender Drama 'Carmin Tropical' Wins Top Prize
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- Entertainment Geekly: How ?The Walking Dead' is ?Lord of the Rings'
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch try to walk like Beyonce
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming