Are You Ready for the Newest Season of 'America's Next Top Model'?
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 8th 2010 03:00PM
We got to sit down for breakfast this morning with Tyra Banks and judge Andre Leon Talley to chat Italian Vogue, talk shows, black models and weird looking models over a giant platter of bacon....it really was a little slice of heaven.
Top Model was one of the first times we saw plus-size models treated equally, now it's a trend. Do you feel responsible?
Tyra: I am actually really, really happy. When I pitched the idea of 'Top Model' to the network, I said I have to have plus sized models and that was a different time, so they were like, "eh whatever". Now to see V magazine and Glamour and Chanel and Marc Jacobs embracing it. It's great. The thing is we have to make sure it isn't just a trend. Women's bodies come in so many different sizes, I am hoping it is not a trend and we can continue the different looks.
You've had a lot of different looks on the show. Which ones would you label as a moment of drekitude?
Tyra: I did have a dreck white dress.
Andre: No, you changed the white dress. You rushed back to your dressing room. Dreckitude was not happening this season.
Tyra: And Andre gets silent when there is dreck. So there has been no dreck since Andre has been there. I wouldn't say I have had dreck looks, I would say I have had dreck seasons. Also I care about fashion now. Before I was so busy with the talk show I just put on whatever, but now I actually think about it.
What's the most exciting thing about this season?
Tyra: The prize is beyond exciting and I have a nice relationship with Franca Sozzani from Italian Vogue. She was so giving of her time we sat in my dressing room for two hours just talking. It was a shock and surprise for me was how dedicated she was to this and when I asked if she wanted to do it again she said, "Of course darling". So she's on for Cycle 16.
Andre, tell us about the first time you met Tyra when this fierce love affair began?
Andre: When I first saw Ms. Banks she was a little girl, just 16, backstage at the Yves St. Laurent show and she was chaperoned by her mother. That's how I remember her. My biggest memory is her being there with her mama hovering over her.
Tyra, Italy is where you got your start as a model. What was it like going back to give these girls their start there?
Tyra: Being a black model, I didn't get that love at home and I had to go overseas to get that respect and get a career. My mom was the one who was so excited that I was going back to where I got my start.
Because you were in Italy this season, did you pick the models differently?
Tyra: I am attracted to beauty that is odd. I created 'Top Model' to expand the definition of beauty and we have always chosen some girls who are odd and interesting and different and this season we did that with all of them because we could. It's Italian Vogue!!
We're sad about your talk show ending. Will there be another one?
Tyra: No way! Having a talk show is the hardest thing in the world. In the world. I don't want to be in the business of bulk. I would would prefer to take projects on that I can craft individually.
MORE ABOUT Tyra Banks
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Tyra Banks Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Hudson Talks "Unconventional" Family, Would Wed Fiance Matt Bellamy "For the Kids"
- Sofia Vergara, Joe Manganiello Double Date With Joe's Brother Nick and His Pregnant Wife at Lady Gaga Concert: Picture
- Shakira Takes Baby Milan to Countryside With Boyfriend Gerard Pique: Picture
- Remembering Her Dad ? Bindi Irwin Opens Up About Losing Her ?Crocodile Hunter' Dad Steve Irwin, Says It's Like ?Losing A Piece Of Your Heart'
- Feud With The Kardashians Explodes — Kim’s BFF Jonathan Cheban Tells ‘RHONJ’ Star Ashlee Holmes, ‘You Made A Huge Mistake!’
- Chelsea In Control! New Book Claims Bill And Hillary Clinton's Daughter Wears The Pants In The Family ? Author Claims She Is A ?Royal Child'
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Brie Bella Goes to the Caribbean, Nikki Bella Hits the Beach With John Cena and More—Catch Up With the Total Divas!
- This Beautiful Model Is Considered Plus-Size and the Internet Is Not Happy About That
- Selena Gomez Flashes Major Skin With Cara Delevingne at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala