Ohio to Crystal Bowersox: Sorry for Snooping!
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 9th 2010 11:15AM
According to the The Columbus Dispatch, police, municipal court and DMV employees illegally rummaged through Crystal Bowersox's criminal and driver's license records.
"I had no idea it happened," Bowersox told a Toledo newspaper. "I'm disgusted by it. You feel violated, but I guess it comes with the territory.
On July 1st, the Ohio Department of Public Safety issued an apology letter for the unauthorized database searches and confirmed no one had stolen her identity, according to the story.
However, this isn't the first time Ohio databases were illegally used to dig up records on local celebrities. Just ask Joseph Wurzelbacher, a.k.a. 'Joe the Plumber.'
The searches were detected back in May by the State Highway Patrol after Bowersox became an 'Idol' finalist, and eight searches were discovered from police departments in towns like Millersburg, Pemberville and Xenia, Ohio.
The government employees who were caught received punishments ranging from two-week suspensions to written reprimands, however only one person has been criminally charged.
A 17-year state employee, Jay Wright, 47, was fired on June 24 for snooping on Bowersox's DMV records in February.
"I saw she was indeed from Ohio ... and I thought, 'Great, a local girl may have a shot at making it big' and that was that," Wright told Ohio officials. "At no point did I take her personal information, print it or commit it to memory for any financial gain."
Wright was indicted last month for unauthorized use of property, which could result in up to a year in prison. He pleaded not guilty on Friday.
Bowersox however doesn't want to sue, because she knows there's nothing that interesting on her records.
"It would have said I was poor, was on Medicaid, and I was on welfare as a child, and that my driving record was immaculate," Bowersox told the Toledo paper. "My record has nothing on it."
American Idol 2010
In this photo provided by PictureGroup, contestant Crystal Bowersox performs at the American Idol Season 9 Top 2 Performance Show at the Nokia Theatre on May 25, 2010 in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Michael Becker/FOX/PictureGroup)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Red Nose Day's Best Skits: Julia Roberts' Real Voice, Game of Thrones Musical and More!
- Orange Is the New Black Season 3 Hits Netflix and More June Streaming Releases From Amazon and Hulu
- Dwyane Wade Explains His Groomzilla Behavior: "I Know My Wife" Gabrielle Union
- Stars who lost their mojo
- Pamela Anderson is ready to date lots of guys
- Gwyneth Paltrow reveals how she got her bikini body
- Celebs Bring the Funny for Red Nose Day: Gwyneth Paltrow Hangs Out, Robert Pattinson Crashes a Car & More!
- Find Out What Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, Daniel Craig and More Really Sound Like in This Hilarious Red Nose Day Exposé
- Reese Witherspoon Is Going to Play Tinker Bell in New Live-Action Disney Movie