Ohio to Crystal Bowersox: Sorry for Snooping!
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 9th 2010 11:15AM
According to the The Columbus Dispatch, police, municipal court and DMV employees illegally rummaged through Crystal Bowersox's criminal and driver's license records.
"I had no idea it happened," Bowersox told a Toledo newspaper. "I'm disgusted by it. You feel violated, but I guess it comes with the territory.
On July 1st, the Ohio Department of Public Safety issued an apology letter for the unauthorized database searches and confirmed no one had stolen her identity, according to the story.
However, this isn't the first time Ohio databases were illegally used to dig up records on local celebrities. Just ask Joseph Wurzelbacher, a.k.a. 'Joe the Plumber.'
The searches were detected back in May by the State Highway Patrol after Bowersox became an 'Idol' finalist, and eight searches were discovered from police departments in towns like Millersburg, Pemberville and Xenia, Ohio.
The government employees who were caught received punishments ranging from two-week suspensions to written reprimands, however only one person has been criminally charged.
A 17-year state employee, Jay Wright, 47, was fired on June 24 for snooping on Bowersox's DMV records in February.
"I saw she was indeed from Ohio ... and I thought, 'Great, a local girl may have a shot at making it big' and that was that," Wright told Ohio officials. "At no point did I take her personal information, print it or commit it to memory for any financial gain."
Wright was indicted last month for unauthorized use of property, which could result in up to a year in prison. He pleaded not guilty on Friday.
Bowersox however doesn't want to sue, because she knows there's nothing that interesting on her records.
"It would have said I was poor, was on Medicaid, and I was on welfare as a child, and that my driving record was immaculate," Bowersox told the Toledo paper. "My record has nothing on it."
American Idol 2010
In this photo provided by PictureGroup, contestant Crystal Bowersox performs at the American Idol Season 9 Top 2 Performance Show at the Nokia Theatre on May 25, 2010 in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Michael Becker/FOX/PictureGroup)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heidi Klum Goes Topless, Zac Posen Covers her Breasts with his Hands
- Julia Roberts, Jimmy Fallon Throw Giant Balls at Each Other's Faces, Get Squashed Noses
- Kim Kardashian Shares Bikini Pictures With North West; Adrienne Bailon Defends Rob Kardashian Comments: Top 5 Thursday Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Julia Roberts Plays "Face Balls" With Jimmy Fallon, Is "Better Handling Big Balls"—Watch Now!
- Nick Viall Explains Fantasy Suite Experience With Andi Dorfman: Our Intimacy Level Was Way Beyond the "Act of Sex"
- Jada Pinkett Smith Talks Controversy Surrounding Willow's Photo: "Don't Pollute Something That's Not Dirty"