Patrick Swayze's Wife Reflects One Year Later
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 14th 2010 02:10PM
"In some ways I look at the anniversary and think, 'It's either going to knock me down or it's going to make me stronger," Niemi told PEOPLE. "And I know I'm stronger now. The fact that I've had some good days definitely gives me hope that I can have more."
With her spirits on the mend, Niemi is determined to honor her husband's memory. She is now a spokeswoman for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and has launched an awareness campaign in Swayze's name called 'Be a Hero in the Fight Against Pancreatic Cancer: Know it. Fight it. End it.'
Swayze lost a long battle with pancreatic cancer last year, and Niemi figured the best way to honor him would be to help others in the same struggle.
"It's a merciless disease," Niemi said. "If Patrick being sick can help somebody else, it's the highest honor I could help him have."
Although Swayze has been gone for a year now, Niemi says it sometimes feels like he never left.
"Sometimes there won't be any wind, so I like to think it's [Patrick]," Niemi said in the interview. "I do sense his presence, and I like that. Just because he's gone now doesn't mean that love doesn't go on."
Patrick & Lisa: A Love Story
A 19-year-old Swayze met Lisa Niemi in 1970 at his mother's dance studio and she immediately brought the cocky hunk and his ego down to earth. "She didn't buy any of my nonsense," he's said of their early days. "We spent half our dates in total silence as she wouldn't talk to me if she thought I was putting on an act." Five years later they were married. MORE PICS >>
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Patrick and Lisa: A Love Story
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rap mogul Suge Knight behind wheel of truck in deadly hit-and-run, lawyer says
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- 'Breaking Bad's' Anna Gunn to Co-Star in 'Criminal Minds' Spinoff
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' Postmortem: The Evidence Grows as Keating Five Falter
- 'Parenthood's' Craig T. Nelson on Zeek's Fate: "The Journey He Took Was Extraordinary"
- Watch Live! 'Black or White' Star Kevin Costner's One-on-One With Mr. Moviefone
- 'Still Alice' Review: Julianne Moore Anchors Intense Alzheimer's Film
- 'Terminator: Genisys' Super Bowl Trailer Features Arnold & Action Galore (VIDEO)