Patrick Swayze's Wife Reflects One Year Later
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 14th 2010 02:10PM
"In some ways I look at the anniversary and think, 'It's either going to knock me down or it's going to make me stronger," Niemi told PEOPLE. "And I know I'm stronger now. The fact that I've had some good days definitely gives me hope that I can have more."
With her spirits on the mend, Niemi is determined to honor her husband's memory. She is now a spokeswoman for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and has launched an awareness campaign in Swayze's name called 'Be a Hero in the Fight Against Pancreatic Cancer: Know it. Fight it. End it.'
Swayze lost a long battle with pancreatic cancer last year, and Niemi figured the best way to honor him would be to help others in the same struggle.
"It's a merciless disease," Niemi said. "If Patrick being sick can help somebody else, it's the highest honor I could help him have."
Although Swayze has been gone for a year now, Niemi says it sometimes feels like he never left.
"Sometimes there won't be any wind, so I like to think it's [Patrick]," Niemi said in the interview. "I do sense his presence, and I like that. Just because he's gone now doesn't mean that love doesn't go on."
Patrick & Lisa: A Love Story
A 19-year-old Swayze met Lisa Niemi in 1970 at his mother's dance studio and she immediately brought the cocky hunk and his ego down to earth. "She didn't buy any of my nonsense," he's said of their early days. "We spent half our dates in total silence as she wouldn't talk to me if she thought I was putting on an act." Five years later they were married. MORE PICS >>
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Patrick and Lisa: A Love Story
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cream vocalist, bassist Jack Bruce dies at 71
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- 'SNL' Cold Open Mocks Ebola's Spread to NYC
- New York TV Festival Unveils Winners of 20 Development Deals
- Jill Soloway: How a Detour Into Indie Filmmaking Led to Amazon's 'Transparent'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming