Patrick Swayze's Wife Reflects One Year Later
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 14th 2010 02:10PM
"In some ways I look at the anniversary and think, 'It's either going to knock me down or it's going to make me stronger," Niemi told PEOPLE. "And I know I'm stronger now. The fact that I've had some good days definitely gives me hope that I can have more."
With her spirits on the mend, Niemi is determined to honor her husband's memory. She is now a spokeswoman for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and has launched an awareness campaign in Swayze's name called 'Be a Hero in the Fight Against Pancreatic Cancer: Know it. Fight it. End it.'
Swayze lost a long battle with pancreatic cancer last year, and Niemi figured the best way to honor him would be to help others in the same struggle.
"It's a merciless disease," Niemi said. "If Patrick being sick can help somebody else, it's the highest honor I could help him have."
Although Swayze has been gone for a year now, Niemi says it sometimes feels like he never left.
"Sometimes there won't be any wind, so I like to think it's [Patrick]," Niemi said in the interview. "I do sense his presence, and I like that. Just because he's gone now doesn't mean that love doesn't go on."
Patrick & Lisa: A Love Story
A 19-year-old Swayze met Lisa Niemi in 1970 at his mother's dance studio and she immediately brought the cocky hunk and his ego down to earth. "She didn't buy any of my nonsense," he's said of their early days. "We spent half our dates in total silence as she wouldn't talk to me if she thought I was putting on an act." Five years later they were married. MORE PICS >>
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
Patrick and Lisa: A Love Story
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Christmas albums to put you in the mood for the holidays
- Foxwoods Resort Casino 'indefinitely' postpones Bill Cosby appearance
- Ricky Skaggs supportive of gay country singers coming out
- Steve McQueen's Female-Centric 'Widows' Is "His Own Version of a Gangster Film"
- See John Oliver Mock Presidential Turkey Pardons
- HBO Prepping Bombshell Scientology Film From Oscar Winner (Exclusive)
- John Oliver thinks the president's pardoned turkey has no case
- Waka Flocka Flame shills throat drops because he's Waka Flocka Flame
- ?Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Cameron Diaz crashes the boys club
- ?Box Office: Why Did 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Have the Weakest Opening of the Franchise?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 7 Recap: You're Not Holding it Right
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot