Bravo Comes Out Swinging at Michaele and Tareq Salahi Over 'Iron-Clad' Claim
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 15th 2010 03:26PM
Not much isn't known about Michaele and Tareq Salahi's uninvited visit to a White House state dinner last year -- heck, they've talked about it on the 'Today' show. But a new book about the scandal claims the 'Real Housewives of DC' stars haven't discussed the incident, and directly blames so-called "iron-clad" contracts with the show's network, Bravo, for their supposed discretion.
Not surprisingly, Bravo isn't pleased with the claim, found in the book 'Cirque du Salahi: Be Careful Who You Trust,' and have shot back saying that any notion that their 'Housewives'-related contracts bar them from talking about the incident as "simply not true."
"From the time of the incident until now, Bravo and Half Yard Productions, the producer of the series, have consistently and repeatedly stated to the Salahis and their representatives that they were free to speak to press, law enforcement, Congress and anyone else about attending the State Dinner. Indeed, they have given multiple press interviews on that very subject."
In January, Tareq Salahi appeared before Congress at a hearing for the House Homeland Security Committee. When asked to discuss how he and his wife went to the dinner he repeated several times, "On the advice of counsel, I respectfully assert my right to remain silent and decline to answer your question."
In 'Cirque du Salahi: Be Careful Who You Trust,' author Diane Dimond gives this explanation for why the Salahis clammed up in Congress.
"On attorney's advice, and because of their 'iron-clad' contracts with Bravo, the Salahis felt they could not defend themselves -- not even when called before a committee of the United States Congress. Only now, that the danger of a possible federal indictment has faded with time, do they feel they can tell their side of the story."
The Salahis famously slipped through security at a White House dinner for the prime minister of India, even shaking hands with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. They told "their side of the story" shortly after the incident, to Matt Lauer in fact, in a 'Today' show interview on Dec. 1.
"We were invited, not crashers," Michaele said. "There isn't anyone that would have the audacity or the poor behavior to do that ... certainly not us."
Aside from the White House crashing, 'Cirque du Salahi' also breaks the news that Michaele has been suffering from multiple sclerosis for seven years.
MORE ABOUT Michaele Salahi
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michaele Salahi Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Releases Statement About Fashion Police Host's Condition, Says She's "Resting Comfortably"
- Joan Rivers in Medically Induced Coma After Experiencing Complications During Surgery
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Are Married; Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox have Friends Reunion: Top 5 Stories
- Kim Kardashian Admits Brody Jenner Was Upset She Didn't Invite His Girlfriend To Her Kanye West Nuptials
- Joan Rivers In Medically Induced Coma – Report
- Britney ?Betrayed!' Boyfriend Caught On Tape With Another Woman ? She's ?Devastated,' Says Source
- New Zack Morris: Unauthorized story 'a love letter' to Saved By The Bell
- Pregnant or burrito grande?
- Joan Rivers 'resting comfortably' after being rushed to hospital, daughter says
- Inside Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Budget Wedding—It Was Practically Free!
- Joan Rivers Hospitalized: Fellow Celebrities Tweet Support and Heartfelt Hopes That Pioneering Comedian Gets Well Soon
- Ray J Arrested for Battery, Trespassing and Vandalism at Beverly Wilshire Hotel