Bravo Comes Out Swinging at Michaele and Tareq Salahi Over 'Iron-Clad' Claim
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 15th 2010 03:26PM
Not much isn't known about Michaele and Tareq Salahi's uninvited visit to a White House state dinner last year -- heck, they've talked about it on the 'Today' show. But a new book about the scandal claims the 'Real Housewives of DC' stars haven't discussed the incident, and directly blames so-called "iron-clad" contracts with the show's network, Bravo, for their supposed discretion.
Not surprisingly, Bravo isn't pleased with the claim, found in the book 'Cirque du Salahi: Be Careful Who You Trust,' and have shot back saying that any notion that their 'Housewives'-related contracts bar them from talking about the incident as "simply not true."
"From the time of the incident until now, Bravo and Half Yard Productions, the producer of the series, have consistently and repeatedly stated to the Salahis and their representatives that they were free to speak to press, law enforcement, Congress and anyone else about attending the State Dinner. Indeed, they have given multiple press interviews on that very subject."
In January, Tareq Salahi appeared before Congress at a hearing for the House Homeland Security Committee. When asked to discuss how he and his wife went to the dinner he repeated several times, "On the advice of counsel, I respectfully assert my right to remain silent and decline to answer your question."
In 'Cirque du Salahi: Be Careful Who You Trust,' author Diane Dimond gives this explanation for why the Salahis clammed up in Congress.
"On attorney's advice, and because of their 'iron-clad' contracts with Bravo, the Salahis felt they could not defend themselves -- not even when called before a committee of the United States Congress. Only now, that the danger of a possible federal indictment has faded with time, do they feel they can tell their side of the story."
The Salahis famously slipped through security at a White House dinner for the prime minister of India, even shaking hands with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. They told "their side of the story" shortly after the incident, to Matt Lauer in fact, in a 'Today' show interview on Dec. 1.
"We were invited, not crashers," Michaele said. "There isn't anyone that would have the audacity or the poor behavior to do that ... certainly not us."
Aside from the White House crashing, 'Cirque du Salahi' also breaks the news that Michaele has been suffering from multiple sclerosis for seven years.
MORE ABOUT Michaele Salahi
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michaele Salahi Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- Hold On! Sofia Vergara Reportedly Puts The Brakes On Marriage Plans ? There's No Wedding Dress Or Date
- Gisele: She's not just like you
- "12 Years a Slave," "Osage County" top SAG nominations
- 'Duck Dynasty' fam spreads holiday cheer in Afghanistan
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review Roundup: Critics Can't Find Middle Ground on Middle-earth
- Mena Suvari's Awkward Christmas Card With Her Boyfriend and Cat Is Absolute Perfection—Take a Look!
- American Horror Story: Coven Shocker: Gabourey Sidibe Talks Queenie's Fate, and Which Co-Star Brings a Baby Hand to Set