Michael Grimm Stuns in 'America's Got Talent' Upset
By AOL TV Editors Posted Sep 16th 2010 06:01AM
We have a winner on 'America's Got Talent'! After a summer chock full of magicians, aerialists, dance troupes and pint-sized opera singer, the winner came as a bit of a surprise. In a shocking finale outcome, singer Michael Grimm triumphed over early favorite, 10-year-old opera singer Jackie Evancho, to win the $1 million prize and a Las Vegas show.
"Is this really happening?" asked the 30-year-old singer in disbelief, then screamed, "Yes!"
Meanwhile, a disappointed but gracious Evancho raved about her 'America's Got Talent' experience. "I have loved every single moment," she said. "I just really hope I'll be able to sing for you guys again."
Black light illusionists Fighting Gravity took third place and the flamboyant opera dandy Prince Poppycock was in fourth.
Most prognosticators picked Evancho or Poppycock. After the top 4 performance night, TV Squad's own Isabelle Carreau wrote Grimm wasn't "fresh or unique enough to win." And readers voted Evancho as most likely to take the crown. Even Grimm himself seemed prepared to lose after performing, telling TV Squad that "I gave it all I could" and that at least "now, I have a fan base."
The audience gasped when the first eliminee turned out to be Poppycock (real name: John Andrew Quale), who has been the talk of the season. Still, his final competition performance may not have been his best -- at least according to judge Piers Morgan, who infamously gave him a strike Tuesday night.
After getting eliminated, Poppycock, as mysterious and strange as ever, told Morgan, "I just want to say thank you to Piers. You see, I was promised a horse but I only got two guys in horse heads, so Piers intuitively understood I needed a horse's behind."
To that, Morgan replied, "I do think I made a mistake [buzzing you]. I do ... I should've buzzed you about 10 seconds earlier. [The audience boos] I'm kidding!"
The judge continued, "You've been an incredible contestant this year and although I thought you had a bit of a bad day at the office ... when I watched you with Donna Summer on this stage, that is what you are. That is when you are at your best: when you're being camp and funny and flamboyant and outrageous and a cross between Elton John, Freddy Mercury, Liberace. That is our Prince Poppycock ... You are a star. You will be a star."
The finale featured a number of star-studded performances, including duets by Poppycock and Summer, Grimm and Jewel, Fighting Gravity and Lionel Richie and Evancho and Sarah Brightman.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Josh Duggar Makes Joke About Siblings Dating: Video Resurfaces Amid Child Molestation Accusations
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Kim Kardashian Comes Clean About Bruce Jenner's Transition: "It's All True"
- Katy Perry Hasn't Talked to Russell Brand Since He Texted Her to File for Divorce Over Two Years Ago
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Kim Kardashian Plans Kids Trip to Snowy Montana Amid Family Changes, Kylie Jenner Hesitates Going—Get the KUWTK Recap
- Game of Thrones Recap: "The Gift" Finally Gives Fans the Greatest Present Ever
- Morgan Stewart Models in NYC, EJ Johnson Plans Trip to Bahamas, Dorothy Wang's Party Goes Sour—Get the #RichKids Recap!