Airbrushing Controversy Surrounds Gabourey Sidibe Elle Cover
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Sep 16th 2010 04:50PM
Elle magazine is denying accusations that it digitally lightened the skin of Oscar-nominated actress Gabourey Sidibe, who is appearing on one of the October issue's four celebrity covers.
The controversy is the second magazine swirl Sidibe's name has been tied to in 2010. It was back in February that there was an outcry that the actress, at the time reveling in the Oscar buzz around 'Precious, had been left off of Vanity Fair's Hollywood cover in what some called 'The White Issue.
The Telegraph reports that the fashion magazine -- which last month featured Julia Roberts on its front -- is also being criticized for showing slim October cover girls Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, and Lauren Conrad in full-length poses, while the plus-size Sidibe is only seen from the chest up, according to the paper.
The 'Precious' actress appears on the cover in a draped emerald green gown and rocking long, straight locks, though her glowing skin does seem to be a few shades lighter than normal (See the photos above).
So is the lighter skin a result of her makeup or the lighting used on set? Or did somebody get too eager with the Photoshop?
Elle reportedly claims "nothing out of the ordinary" was done.
"We have four separate covers this month, and Gabby's cover was not retouched any more or less than the others," the 25-year-old magazine said in an official statement.
"We had 25 cover-worthy subjects in our portfolio and we chose Gabby because of who she is.
"We shot this as a story of exuberant young women changing the world. If you take a look at the portfolio, each of the women were shot in different ways and for different reasons."
Hmmm... "more or less than the others"? Sounds fishy.
It's not the first time accusations of skin lightening have been made. In 2008, L'Oréal received complaints that it had allegedly lightened Beyoncé's skin in a Feria ad.
Hit or Miss Fashion?
Christina Aguilera leaves her SoHo hotel looking very edgy, and possibly 'Evil,' as she heads to Radio City Music Hall.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Starbucks Unveils Limited Edition Birthday Cake Frappuccino: What It Tastes Like
- Shailene Woodley Eats Bugs, Thinks the "Future of Food Is in Insects"
- Ben Stiller: Joan Rivers and I Never Made Amends Before Her Death, "She Didn't Like Me"
- MSNBC apologizes for guest's inflammatory comment on country music
- Cate Blanchett loses patience with reporter
- Hope Solo: Dealing with a lot of my issues
- Britney Spears Describes Her First Date With Charlie Ebersol, Her "Adorably Hot" Producer Boyfriend of Six Months
- Did Kendrick Lamar Just Throw Major Shade at Kanye West? We Investigate
- Khloé Kardashian Steps Out With an Even Blonder Hair Color—See Her Lightened Locks!