Airbrushing Controversy Surrounds Gabourey Sidibe Elle Cover
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Sep 16th 2010 04:50PM
Elle magazine is denying accusations that it digitally lightened the skin of Oscar-nominated actress Gabourey Sidibe, who is appearing on one of the October issue's four celebrity covers.
The controversy is the second magazine swirl Sidibe's name has been tied to in 2010. It was back in February that there was an outcry that the actress, at the time reveling in the Oscar buzz around 'Precious, had been left off of Vanity Fair's Hollywood cover in what some called 'The White Issue.
The Telegraph reports that the fashion magazine -- which last month featured Julia Roberts on its front -- is also being criticized for showing slim October cover girls Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, and Lauren Conrad in full-length poses, while the plus-size Sidibe is only seen from the chest up, according to the paper.
The 'Precious' actress appears on the cover in a draped emerald green gown and rocking long, straight locks, though her glowing skin does seem to be a few shades lighter than normal (See the photos above).
So is the lighter skin a result of her makeup or the lighting used on set? Or did somebody get too eager with the Photoshop?
Elle reportedly claims "nothing out of the ordinary" was done.
"We have four separate covers this month, and Gabby's cover was not retouched any more or less than the others," the 25-year-old magazine said in an official statement.
"We had 25 cover-worthy subjects in our portfolio and we chose Gabby because of who she is.
"We shot this as a story of exuberant young women changing the world. If you take a look at the portfolio, each of the women were shot in different ways and for different reasons."
Hmmm... "more or less than the others"? Sounds fishy.
It's not the first time accusations of skin lightening have been made. In 2008, L'Oréal received complaints that it had allegedly lightened Beyoncé's skin in a Feria ad.
Hit or Miss Fashion?
Christina Aguilera leaves her SoHo hotel looking very edgy, and possibly 'Evil,' as she heads to Radio City Music Hall.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Couple Leaves Waiter a $100 Tip for Bad Service; See George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin's First Wedding Photo: Top 5 Stories
- Ben Affleck Goes Full Frontal in Gone Girl, Jokes His Penis "Looks Better in 3-D!"
- Sofia Vergara, Joe Manganiello Go On Double Date With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum -- See the Hot Pics!
- No R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Aretha Franklin Lets It All? Hang Out After David Letterman Taping – See The Pictures!
- Tracy Morgan Fights Back, ?Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Is Blaming Him For Deadly Car Accident
- Anne Hathaway: Fame messed me up
- Taylor Swift applauds Emma Watson's speech on feminism
- FOX411's pic of the day