Bravo Has Had It With Michaele and Tareq Salahi
By Rob Shuter Posted Sep 16th 2010 07:22AM
Michaele and Tareq Salahi's fifteen minutes of fame may be up now that I've learned publicly-annoyed Bravo has decided not to invite the White House party crashers back to tape another season of 'The Real Housewives Of DC.'
"The DC show is the only show in the entire franchise that isn't a true hit," an insider tells me. "And the Salahi's are the biggest reason for that. At first, execs thought they struck gold with all the attention the couple got over the White House dinner. But now they realize not all press is good press and this couple's involvement in the show has turned more viewers off than on."
Sources tell me the couple's behavior on camera hasn't upset Bravo executives as much as their behavior off camera. First the Salahi's refused to show up for the launch party, then they had the nerve to throw their own competing party and ask guests to pay to attend.
But the final straw came to light just this week, when the couple claimed (in a new book about them) that their "iron-clad" contract with Bravo doesn't allow them to talk about the White House-crashing incident to the media. Of course, they've never been shy about talking-up the scandal (except for when Tareq clammed up at a Congressional hearing!) and famously spoke to Matt Lauer about it just days after the State Dinner.
This angered Bravo so greatly that they released this statement to PopEater: "Bravo [has] consistently and repeatedly stated to the Salahis and their representatives that they were free to speak to press, law enforcement, Congress and anyone else about attending the State Dinner. Indeed, they have given multiple press interviews on that very subject."
Boom! It was a stinging rebuke of their own employees and a sure sign the network is wiping their hands of them. Other members of the Bravo family agree.
"At this point, they are an embarrassment to the 'Housewife' franchise," one fellow Bravo housewife tells me. "They are a loose cannon. Now, Michaele has revealed she has multiple sclerosis; next she'll be announcing she is pregnant with triplets to get attention."
I say goodbye and consider this my pledge to (hopefully!!!) never write about them again.
Real Housewives Snapshots
NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: (L-R) Actresses Nikki Blonsky, Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe and TV Personality from "Real Housewives of New Jersey " Caroline Manzo attend the Onestopplus.com Spring 2011 fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at Frederick P. Rose Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center on September 15, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Nikki Blonsky;Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe;Caroline Manzo
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Michaele Salahi
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michaele Salahi Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gay gun activists: Growing LGBT push to support the Second Amendment
- Hidden bra camera shows woman how often breasts are ogled
- Alyssa Milano is leaving 'Mistresses'
- Bethenny Frankel Returning to Real Housewives of New York City; Alyssa Milano Leaving Mistresses: Top 5 Stories
- Porsha Williams Says She Was "Blindsided" by Real Housewives Demotion: It's Time to "Spread My Wings"
- American Horror Story: Freak Show Opening Credits Are as Creepy as You'd Expect
- ?Hank Is Not Gay!' ? Kendra Wilkinson Will Move On With Husband Hank Baskett Despite Cheating Allegations ? ?He Deserves Forgiveness'
- Trashed & Making A Splash! Amanda Bynes ?Drunk' On Rooftop Of West Hollywood Hotel Following DUI Arrest
- Bethenny's Back! Frankel Returning To ?Real Housewives Of New York City'