Leonard Skinner, Who Inspired Band Name, Dies at 77
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 20th 2010 05:10PM
Skinner, a former basketball coach and the most famously strict gym teacher in rock and roll history, died in his sleep at a hospital Monday, the Florida Times-Union reports. He was 77.
In an interview with The Times-Union back in 2009, Skinner said he didn't mind it when the band incorporated his name. In fact, he didn't even remember them when they were in high school. The band remembered him, however, on account of his strict rules against their long hair.
"It was against the rules," Skinner said in the interview. "I don't particularly like long hair on men, but again, it wasn't my rule."
Though he hasn't been shy of the attention he received because of his name and was often asked to show his ID to prove it, Skinner never really warmed up to the group's music.
"No," he said flatly when asked if he liked their tunes. "I don't. I don't like rock 'n' roll music."
After three members of the band died in 1977, Skinner could only say nice things about the band.
"They were good, talented, hard-working talented boys," Skinner said. "They worked hard, lived hard and boozed hard."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Actress Valerie Harper out of hospital, resting with family
- Bobbi Kristina's Funeral Ends with a Whitney Houston Song
- Melt-Down: Bobbi Kristina's Aunt Leolah Booted from Funeral, Spews Accusations
- Valerie Harper's Upbeat Message to Fans
- Kim Kardashian Is Officially a Soccer Mom: New North West Photos!
- Avril Lavigne Wants to Make Movies, Has a Pizza Named After Her: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Caitlyn Jenner's Conservative Views Concern Transgender Friends in New I Am Cait Sneak Peek: Watch