Leonard Skinner, Who Inspired Band Name, Dies at 77
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 20th 2010 05:10PM
Skinner, a former basketball coach and the most famously strict gym teacher in rock and roll history, died in his sleep at a hospital Monday, the Florida Times-Union reports. He was 77.
In an interview with The Times-Union back in 2009, Skinner said he didn't mind it when the band incorporated his name. In fact, he didn't even remember them when they were in high school. The band remembered him, however, on account of his strict rules against their long hair.
"It was against the rules," Skinner said in the interview. "I don't particularly like long hair on men, but again, it wasn't my rule."
Though he hasn't been shy of the attention he received because of his name and was often asked to show his ID to prove it, Skinner never really warmed up to the group's music.
"No," he said flatly when asked if he liked their tunes. "I don't. I don't like rock 'n' roll music."
After three members of the band died in 1977, Skinner could only say nice things about the band.
"They were good, talented, hard-working talented boys," Skinner said. "They worked hard, lived hard and boozed hard."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face
- When Taylor Swift's ?Out of the Woods' meets ?Circle of Life,' everything makes sense
- Watch Air New Zealand's ?Hobbit'-inspired safety video
- Watch the trailer for Ridley Scott's ?Halo: Nightfall'
- Melissa Rivers Inherits Over $100 Million of Joan Rivers' Estate; Matthew McConaughey Hits Red Carpet With Adorable Kids: Top 5 Stories
- Jennifer Lopez Buys $22 Million New York City Apartment Next Door to Chelsea Clinton: Details
- Bewitched Reboot Scores NBC Deal: New Show Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter Daphne