Michael C. Hall Wasn't Sure He'd Live to Be 39
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans Posted Sep 20th 2010 10:00PM
When 'Dexter' star Michael C. Hall was diagnosed with a potentially deadly form of cancer last year, he thought his worst nightmare might be coming true. The actor says he had always wondered whether he'd live to be 39, the age at which his father died of prostate cancer when he was just a little boy. Hall was 38 when he found out he had Hodgkin's lymphoma.
"I think I've been preoccupied since I was 11, and my father died, with the idea of the age 39: Would I live that long? What would that be like?" Hall told The New York Times. "To discover that I had the Hodgkin's was alarming, but at the same time I felt kind of bemused, like: Wow. Huh. How interesting."
Michael C. Hall Pics
Michael C. Hall attends "Peep World" Premiere during the 35th Toronto International Film Festival at Roy Thomson Hall on September 15 in Toronto. Check out more pics >>
Getty Images North America
Kristin Chenoweth Snapshots
To discover he'd developed a disease that could be fatal shortly before his 39th birthday while he was starring in a show about death seemed like a doubly uncanny coincidence.
Hall was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma while he was in the midst of filming the fourth season of 'Dexter.' He says he kept his illness a secret on the set. Shortly after he disclosed that he had cancer, he accepted a best actor Golden Globe wearing a knitted cap, since the chemo had left him bald. Many in the audience were moved to tears.
The effects of the treatment have now completely worn off. Hall says he feels newly energized.
But the actor doesn't think it's happenstance that the characters he's played on TV have a tendency toward repression -- first the closed-off funeral director David Fisher on 'Six Feet Under' and now the reserved, guarded Dexter Morgan on 'Dexter.'
Hall speculates that it's because he, too, is repressed.
"Maybe it has to do with not knowing quite what to do with the storm of feelings that accompanied my father's death. Maybe it's a learned behavior," he told the Times. "Now I'm taking it to the bank."
MORE ABOUT Michael C. Hall
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michael C. Hall Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kelly Osbourne Apologizes for Offensive Latinos Comment: "I Whole-Hearted F--ked Up"
- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves Gets His 35th Plastic Surgery, Slams Human Barbie Valeria Lukyanova
- Jessica Alba Defends Honest's Sunscreen Amid Backlash: See What She Wrote in an Open Letter
- Kim Kardashian's selfie book 'Selfish' didn't sell
- Kelly Osbourne's comments on 'The View' offend
- Designer Arnold Scaasi dies at 85
- Stephen Curry Posts Sweet Photo of Daughters: See Riley Kiss Baby Sister Ryan
- Everything Beyoncé Has Used to Cover Her Stomach This Summer—See All the Pics!
- Latino Organization La Raza Reacts to Kelly Osbourne's Toilet-Cleaning Remarks: She Needs to ''Get Herself Educated''