Michael Douglas Stays Mum at 'Wall Street' Premiere
By Rob Shuter Posted Sep 20th 2010 11:16PM
Michael Douglas exuded a quiet but resolute presence Monday night as he walked the red carpet at the New York premiere of his new movie, 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.' Sources close to the legendary actor tell me he is riddled with fear and finding it difficult to talk.
"It's cancer, of course he is frightened," a friend of Michael's tells me. "He's 65 years old and has everything to live for. His career couldn't be better and his personal life with beautiful wife, Catherine [Zeta Jones] and kids Dylan and Cary, couldn't be more perfect. Now this has come along and knocked the entire family off its feet."
Michael, who had a difficult time seeing his older son Cameron sentenced to five years in jail for dealing drugs earlier this summer, finally thought the worst was behind him, sources tell me. And then the cancer diagnosis happened.
"He's had an intensive course of radiation and chemotherapy to treat a tumor in his throat," an insider tells me. "It's left him feeling very tired and sometimes finding it very difficult to even speak. In a few weeks, we fear he won't be able to eat or swallow."
At the premiere, Michael rushed past photographers, not stopping to pose for many pictures. He also rushed past the many TV crews and reporters without saying a word--making everyone wonder just how well the star was really doing.
"He is in a no-win situation," a studio source tells me. "If Michael didn't show up, everyone would be talking about him. Yet at the same time if he did show up, the press would see for themselves that he isn't doing so great."
Friends of Michael tell me his family and loved ones are all trying to be as optimistic about the outcome as possible, but at the same time, staying realistic. "We all understand this is stage 4 cancer and we are not taking that lightly. Michael is trying to enjoy every moment of the time he has with his friends and family and taking nothing for granted. He was determined to attend this premiere. Nothing, including cancer, could have stopped him."
We wish you well Mr. Douglas.
Michael Douglas Snapshots
Actors Michael Douglas (L) and Catherine Zeta-Jones attend the premiere of "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" at the Ziegfeld Theatre on September 20, 2010 in New York City. "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" New York Premiere - Outside Arrivals Ziegfeld Theatre New York, NY United States September 20, 2010 Photo by Jim Spellman/WireImage.com To license this image (61746303), contact WireImage.com
MORE ABOUT Michael Douglas
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michael Douglas Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Justin Bieber, Orlando Bloom Fight: The Greatest Reactions (Photos)
- Wilton Schiller, Who Produced the Record-Breaking Episode of 'The Fugitive,' Dies at 95
- DirecTV's 'Kingdom' Trailer: Frank Grillo, Nick Jonas Star in MMA Drama (Video)
- Entertainment Geekly: Or maybe ?Twilight' was the best thing to happen to Comic-Con
- ?Mindy Project' star Adam Pally reveals which celeb sex tape he owns
- Recast ?Game of Thrones' princess posts hilarious video reaction
- The 'Kingdom' Trailer Takes Mixed Martial Arts to the Next Level (VIDEO)
- William Shatner Might Be Bringing the Funny to 'Ted 2'
- Peter Jackson Would Love to See a Guillermo del Toro-Directed 'Skull Island'