Bill Clinton's Global Initiative Draws Unexpected Celebrities
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 21st 2010 04:00PM
But this year's celebrity roster has been relatively sparse.
"It has been celebrity-lite this year. In years past, CGI has been a little like walking around the Sundance Film Festival. But this year we're seeing more serious heads of state and titans of industry and less rock stars," said Lisa Germinsky, the managing editor of Tonic.com, who has been diligently live blogging the event.
Latin diva Shakira and actor Antonio Banderas were two of the only celebrities confirmed to attend the event, which is happening for the next three days.
On Tuesday morning, rocker lady Avril Lavigne tweeted that she was attending the opening session moderated by former President Clinton.
"Really excited to be at the opening session of Bill Clintons #cgi2010," Lavigne wrote. Thankfully, her boyfriend, reality star and Olympic offspring Brody Jenner, was nowhere to be found.
Supermodel turned non-profiteer Petra Nemcova was also among the attendees, but more than schmoozing, she was promoting her Happy Heart foundation, which builds schools in areas stricken by natural disasters.
Ashley Judd was also on hand to discuss empowering young women across the globe. And Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore walked in for the closing session on Sept. 21.
But no Bono this year. He was otherwise engaged this week. Singer Annie Lennox couldn't make it either, even though she has been super involved in supporting CGI commitments this year.
Without the celebs, CGI seems to have returned to its roots of bringing together industry and non-profits to find new ways to do good stuff. It's nice to know that this one thing isn't becoming a commercialized celeb cluster-boink.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Birdman' tops SAG Awards, Redmayne upsets Keaton
- Blake Shelton scores as host and musical guest on 'SNL'
- A new Miss Universe will be crowned tonight in Miami
- Matthew McConaughey Has Been Hitting the Gel, Hard
- Julia Roberts' Stylist Gives Details on Her Givenchy Jumpsuit
- It Takes Two: Three Major Parisian Houses Do Double Time on the Red Carpet
- SAG Awards 2015: We live-blogged it
- Inside EW's Screen Actors Guild Awards party
- ?The Lego Movie,' ?Birdman' nab Producers Guild of America Awards
- SAG Awards 2015 Winners: The Full List
- Mark Ruffalo Asleep When He Won 2015 SAG Award, Gives Speech on Twitter
- Kit Harington Describes 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 in One Word