Bill Clinton's Global Initiative Draws Unexpected Celebrities
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 21st 2010 04:00PM
But this year's celebrity roster has been relatively sparse.
"It has been celebrity-lite this year. In years past, CGI has been a little like walking around the Sundance Film Festival. But this year we're seeing more serious heads of state and titans of industry and less rock stars," said Lisa Germinsky, the managing editor of Tonic.com, who has been diligently live blogging the event.
Latin diva Shakira and actor Antonio Banderas were two of the only celebrities confirmed to attend the event, which is happening for the next three days.
On Tuesday morning, rocker lady Avril Lavigne tweeted that she was attending the opening session moderated by former President Clinton.
"Really excited to be at the opening session of Bill Clintons #cgi2010," Lavigne wrote. Thankfully, her boyfriend, reality star and Olympic offspring Brody Jenner, was nowhere to be found.
Supermodel turned non-profiteer Petra Nemcova was also among the attendees, but more than schmoozing, she was promoting her Happy Heart foundation, which builds schools in areas stricken by natural disasters.
Ashley Judd was also on hand to discuss empowering young women across the globe. And Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore walked in for the closing session on Sept. 21.
But no Bono this year. He was otherwise engaged this week. Singer Annie Lennox couldn't make it either, even though she has been super involved in supporting CGI commitments this year.
Without the celebs, CGI seems to have returned to its roots of bringing together industry and non-profits to find new ways to do good stuff. It's nice to know that this one thing isn't becoming a commercialized celeb cluster-boink.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie' adds Mark Feuerstein for final season
- Ecuador's PR firm reportedly spent more than $500G on celebrity endorsements
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album
- Jack Huston to Star in 'Ben-Hur' Remake
- NFL Players Union Appeals Ray Rice Suspension
- 'New Girl' Showrunners Discuss Rebooting, Censor Skirting and Pot Smoking in Season 4
- This ?Scandal' clothing line lets you dress just like Olivia Pope
- ?Orange Is the New Black' meets ?Golden Girls' in new mash-up video
- Bruce Springsteen headlines Stand Up For Heroes event
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks