Bill Clinton's Global Initiative Draws Unexpected Celebrities
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 21st 2010 04:00PM
But this year's celebrity roster has been relatively sparse.
"It has been celebrity-lite this year. In years past, CGI has been a little like walking around the Sundance Film Festival. But this year we're seeing more serious heads of state and titans of industry and less rock stars," said Lisa Germinsky, the managing editor of Tonic.com, who has been diligently live blogging the event.
Latin diva Shakira and actor Antonio Banderas were two of the only celebrities confirmed to attend the event, which is happening for the next three days.
On Tuesday morning, rocker lady Avril Lavigne tweeted that she was attending the opening session moderated by former President Clinton.
"Really excited to be at the opening session of Bill Clintons #cgi2010," Lavigne wrote. Thankfully, her boyfriend, reality star and Olympic offspring Brody Jenner, was nowhere to be found.
Supermodel turned non-profiteer Petra Nemcova was also among the attendees, but more than schmoozing, she was promoting her Happy Heart foundation, which builds schools in areas stricken by natural disasters.
Ashley Judd was also on hand to discuss empowering young women across the globe. And Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore walked in for the closing session on Sept. 21.
But no Bono this year. He was otherwise engaged this week. Singer Annie Lennox couldn't make it either, even though she has been super involved in supporting CGI commitments this year.
Without the celebs, CGI seems to have returned to its roots of bringing together industry and non-profits to find new ways to do good stuff. It's nice to know that this one thing isn't becoming a commercialized celeb cluster-boink.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Jimmy Fallon Unleashes Epic 'Game of Thrones' Parody (Video)
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report