Bret Michaels to Have Heart Surgery in January
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 23rd 2010 02:45PM
Bret Michaels can't catch a break. On the heels of his miraculous recovery from a life-threatening brain hemorrhage in April, the Poison singer-turned-dating show star will head back to the hospital in January to repair a hole in his heart. According to RadarOnline.com, it's related to a condition he's had since birth.
The hole was discovered after he had a stroke, but all in all, the 'Rock of Love' alum is pretty optimistic, according to a rep.
"He said that there are times when, of course, he worries but he has great people around him and he's cautious," the source said.
"He'll rest up, have surgery, take some time off, hopefully take a family vacation and get back on the road touring and promoting his upcoming book," the rep said.
Bret Michaels Snapshots
Bret Michaels performs onstage during the 15th Annual Rib America Festival at Military Park in Indianapolis on September 3. More Pics >>
Getty Images North America
"I've never been shot, thank God, but I can tell you this: It sounded like a small handgun went off in the back of my head," he told Oprah Winfrey a couple weeks after the incident.
Then in early May he was back in the hospital after suffering a stroke. On his Facebook page, Michaels' reps released the info that says he went back to the hospital after "suffering numbness on the left side of his body." Doctors later diagnosed Michaels as having suffered a Transient Ischematic Attack (TIA), otherwise known as a warning stroke.
According to doctors, an Ultrasound Bubble test of Michaels' heart was then done, and they found a hole in his heart described as a Patent Forum Ovale.
Michaels' neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Zabramski, said at the time, "There is no doubt that the positive Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) is devastating news to Bret and his family. The good news is that it is operable and treatable and we think we may have diagnosed the problem that caused the Transient Ischemic Attach (TIA) or warning stroke."
The singer spoke to PopEater in June about his month of life-threatening scares. "I combined diabetes with appendicitis with a brain hemorrhage, then a warning stroke and the PFO ... that's a five whammy cocktail punch. If you would have told me all that combined together, I would have said, 'That person has to be a goner.'"
Since recovering from the hemorrhage and the stroke, Michaels has kept himself busy with touring and TV appearances, including co-hosting duties at the Miss Universe pageant in August.
Michaels' new VH1 series 'Bret Michaels: Life As You Know It' will premiere on Oct. 18.
MORE ABOUT Bret Michaels
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Bret Michaels Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes' mental stability questioned again
- Adam Sandler to make four films for Netflix
- 'Real Housewives' stars Teresa and Joe Giudice face sentencing, could be imprisoned
- Entertainment Geekly: Have we reached Peak Batman?
- Michael Jackson's ?Thriller' video to be released in 3D
- How one musician makes music from the sounds of YouTube
- Tori Spelling Drops Bombshell Revelation in 'True Tori' Promo
- Hottest Double Date Ever! Channing Tatum & Jenna Dewan Hang with Joe Manganiello & Sofia Vergara
- Extra Scoop: Tracy Morgan Spotted in Wheelchair, First Time Out in Months Since Accident
- Melissa Etheridge Has Never Spoken to Angelina Jolie, Still Says Mastectomy Was "Fearful"
- Maroon 5's "Animals" Music Video Slammed by Sexual Assault Support Group as "Stalker's Fantasy"
- Mario Lopez Slept With Mystery Pop Star, Says Dad Snuck Immigrants Over Border