Bret Michaels to Have Heart Surgery in January
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 23rd 2010 02:45PM
Bret Michaels can't catch a break. On the heels of his miraculous recovery from a life-threatening brain hemorrhage in April, the Poison singer-turned-dating show star will head back to the hospital in January to repair a hole in his heart. According to RadarOnline.com, it's related to a condition he's had since birth.
The hole was discovered after he had a stroke, but all in all, the 'Rock of Love' alum is pretty optimistic, according to a rep.
"He said that there are times when, of course, he worries but he has great people around him and he's cautious," the source said.
"He'll rest up, have surgery, take some time off, hopefully take a family vacation and get back on the road touring and promoting his upcoming book," the rep said.
Bret Michaels Snapshots
Bret Michaels performs onstage during the 15th Annual Rib America Festival at Military Park in Indianapolis on September 3. More Pics >>
Getty Images North America
"I've never been shot, thank God, but I can tell you this: It sounded like a small handgun went off in the back of my head," he told Oprah Winfrey a couple weeks after the incident.
Then in early May he was back in the hospital after suffering a stroke. On his Facebook page, Michaels' reps released the info that says he went back to the hospital after "suffering numbness on the left side of his body." Doctors later diagnosed Michaels as having suffered a Transient Ischematic Attack (TIA), otherwise known as a warning stroke.
According to doctors, an Ultrasound Bubble test of Michaels' heart was then done, and they found a hole in his heart described as a Patent Forum Ovale.
Michaels' neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Zabramski, said at the time, "There is no doubt that the positive Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) is devastating news to Bret and his family. The good news is that it is operable and treatable and we think we may have diagnosed the problem that caused the Transient Ischemic Attach (TIA) or warning stroke."
The singer spoke to PopEater in June about his month of life-threatening scares. "I combined diabetes with appendicitis with a brain hemorrhage, then a warning stroke and the PFO ... that's a five whammy cocktail punch. If you would have told me all that combined together, I would have said, 'That person has to be a goner.'"
Since recovering from the hemorrhage and the stroke, Michaels has kept himself busy with touring and TV appearances, including co-hosting duties at the Miss Universe pageant in August.
Michaels' new VH1 series 'Bret Michaels: Life As You Know It' will premiere on Oct. 18.
MORE ABOUT Bret Michaels
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Bret Michaels Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alec Baldwin avoids arrest after scuffle with photographer
- Jennifer Lawrence requests investigation after nude pics leaked online by hacker
- 'Star Wars' actors tight lipped about upcoming movie
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Joan Rivers' Health Update: Being Brought Out of Coma, Family Has ?Fingers Crossed'
- Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence and Others Leaked in Massive Hack
- Wanna Dress Like a Star? Use the ?Style Guide Book'!
- Lauren Conrad Celebrates Bridal Shower -- See the Cute Pictures!
- Kate Upton Responds to Nude Photo Leak, Her Attorney Calls It "Outrageous Violation of Privacy"
- Kanye West Confronted Jay Pharoah Post MTV VMA Spoof, Rants About Class and Relationship With Kim Kardashian