Fifties Pop Sensation Eddie Fisher Dead at 82
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Sep 24th 2010 06:16AM
"Late last evening the world lost a true America icon," Fisher's family said in a statement released by publicist British Reece. "One of the greatest voices of the century passed away. He was an extraordinary talent and a true mensch."
In the early 50s, Fisher sold millions of records with 32 hit songs including 'Thinking of You,' 'Any Time,' 'Oh, My Pa-pa,' 'I'm Yours,' and 'Wish You Were Here.' His fame was enhanced by his 1955 marriage to movie darling Debbie Reynolds -- they were touted as "America's favorite couple" -- and the birth of two children. Their daughter Carrie Fisher became a film star herself in the first three 'Star Wars' films as Princess Leia.
His clear voice brought him a devoted following of teenage girls in the early 1950s before marriage scandals overshadowed his fame.
When Eddie Fisher's best friend, producer Mike Todd, was killed in a 1958 plane crash, Fisher comforted the widow, Elizabeth Taylor. Amid sensationalist headlines, Fisher divorced Reynolds and married Taylor in 1959.
The Fisher-Taylor marriage lasted only five years. She fell in love with co-star Richard Burton during the Rome filming of 'Cleopatra,' divorced Fisher and married Burton in one of the great entertainment world scandals of the 20th century. Fisher's career never recovered from the notoriety. He married actress Connie Stevens, and they had two daughters. Another divorce followed.
In 1983, Fisher attempted a full-scale comeback. But his old fans had been turned off by the scandals, and the younger generation had been turned on by rock. The tour was unsuccessful.
At 47, Fisher married a 21-year-old beauty queen, Terry Richard. The marriage ended after 10 months. His fifth marriage, to Betty Lin, a Chinese-born businesswoman, lasted longer than any of the others. Fisher had two children with Reynolds: Carrie and Todd; and two girls with Stevens: Joely and Tricia.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- Blythe Danner: Even I don't understand my daughter Gwyneth Paltrow
- Teresa Giudice's Life in Prison: Working Out and Dreaming of Spray Tans
- Human Ken Doll 2.0! Man Pays Over $265K to Reinvent Himself with Plastic Surgery
- Bruce Jenner Spotted Pouting in Public, and New Details About His Supposed Docu-Series
- Rosie Perez Returning to The View After Rumors She Was Leaving After Only Four Months
- Jimmy Fallon's "Ew!" Supercut: Hilarious Clips With Michelle Obama, Taylor Swift
- Padma Lakshmi Appears to Have a Penis in Her Teeny Bikini Throwback Post -- See Her Amazing Body and Awkward Bottoms Here!